Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 19th, 2013 14:00

Dell XPS 700/720 Upgrade Questions

Hey guys, I'm someone new here (posting at least!) and I have recently acquired a Dell XPS 700, with what I believe is a 720 motherboard as the BIOS splash screen and BIOS itself calls it that! Anyway, other than the motherboard, everything except the memory which I upgraded to 4 GB, is stock on the machine. So this brings me to my question, what else can I upgrade, and what's the maximum upgrade? The main things I'm looking for are the graphics card, hard drives (SSD's would be the best option), the processor, and if possible, 8GB's of memory which I read is the max for this machine. Anyway, please help me! Also, for those that still have the machine and have a buzzing sound in the headphones, turn your LightFX off using the Dell QuickSet application and you'll be as good as new! :) 

July 19th, 2013 17:00

Hi szymonrules,

Your system has Core 2 Duo 6300 processor which is a dual core processor. Dell has tested this system with maximum Core 2 Quad Q9450. It is much better processor as compared to C2D 6300. You may review the comparison Here.

Also, your system has nVidia Geforce 7900GTX video card installed. There are a lot of video cards that are compatible and would work with your system. However, your purchase would depend on the budget and work need. You may choose any of PCI Express X16 video card available in market. The latest video card available is Titan GTX 780. Though, Dell has not tested this system with GTX 780, it should work with your system based on technical specifications. You may refer to GTX 780 specification Here.

Note : You may need to upgrade power supply as well based upon the video card you are purchasing.

Since, your computer has 6 SATA II slots, only 2 are occupied by 160GB HDD and optical drive. You may add upto 4 separate hard drives to expand storage capacity. You may also use SSD drive as suggested earlier. Though SSD drives are smaller in size, you may use brackets or holders for connecting them to your system.

The above upgrades would provide you much better performance as compared to original configuration.

Please reply if you have any questions.

July 19th, 2013 16:00

Thanks for replying! Here's what I could gather so far, as well as a GeekBench score! http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2175811

July 19th, 2013 16:00

Hi szymonrules,

Dell XPS 720 is shipped with NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI chipset. Dell has tested XPS 720 with Intel Conroe and Kentsfield processors. It has 2 PCI Express X16 2.0 slots and one PCI Express X16 2.0 slot for video card expansion. It supports a maximum of 8GB DDR2 800/667 Mhz memory via 4 slots with a max of 2GB in each slot. Though, Dell has not tested this system with an SSD, a regular SATA SSD should work with system as it is shipped with 6 SATA II slots supporting a maximum data transfer rates of 3Gb/s.

To help you further decide the upgrade options, I would like to know the current configuration (processor, video card, hard drive etc) of system.

Please reply with the findings. Will take it further from there.

July 19th, 2013 21:00

I don't really have any questions, but I wanted to say thanks for the information! If I do have any more questions, how would I go about contacting you directly?

July 22nd, 2013 17:00

Hi szymonrules,

It is always advisable to post in open forum so that other forum members, Rockstars, Liaisons etc can give their valuable inputs.

However, if you wish to reach specifically me, you may Private Message me (Click on my name and click Start Conversation). I would be happy to help you.

No Events found!