Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2009 19:00

Dell XPS 700 Power Supply upgrade question

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a new NVIDIA GTX 260 Core 216 graphics card from EVGA. It ran just fine for several days and then it began to "artifact" and Windows would display error "code 10" in system device properties indicating a faulty startup for the card. I tried reinstalling the drivers and everything.

Long story short, EVGA advised me that although the factory Dell P/S is 750 watts, the 12V rail Amps are only 18A (x2) which is right on the border of the 36A amp minimum requirment to run the card and they believe that is why the card is artifacting.

Simple question.....I need to upgrade the P/S but where can I find a new P/S that will work with the Dell XPS 720 (upgraded from 700) motherboard and push this video card as well? I afraid of buying one that will not work with this Dell system because of power connectors being unique, etc. Anyone have any links or what I should be looking for in a new P/S?

Thanks.

January 25th, 2010 08:00

I found out through an RMA'd replacement card that my Dell P/S unit worked just fine. It was a faulty card and my new card has been running perfectly since the replacement.

Regards,

DrNegative

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 8th, 2009 21:00

DrNegative

A Dell XPS 700/720 compatible 1000w [1kw] power supply can be purchased from HERE

Bev.

22 Posts

November 9th, 2009 15:00

Hi, DrNegative,

I already have a 1000-watts power supply that came with my XPS 700. I upgraded the videocard to GTX-280. Now as I am working on the computer the video card just simply turns off by it self, I see the redlight at the back of the video card. Please help because the video card works great on my other computer and also on this computer when I am running Ubuntu 9.10 (Linux) I have two OS installed. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Hammad.

22 Posts

November 15th, 2009 11:00

Hi,

I am having the same issue, I have a XPS 700 and I bought the GTX 280 from BFG. They said the Dell XPS 1000 Watts power produces only 18A each cable and by connectint two cables to the card I get only 30A. The GTX 280 requires 42A Minimum. I am also stuck with this problem, I see people have not helped here much but I still wanted to ask you DrNegative if you were able to find a PSU that will fit the computer and power the motherboard correctly please relpy as soon as you can I will be waiting for the reply.

Hammad.

Thankyou.

January 24th, 2010 01:00

Hi all,

I currently have a XPS 700, I have only got the 750W power supply.

I currently run the two 7900GTX in SLI that came with the computer.

It's about time I upgraded.

Reading around I'm worried it's a complete system change than just upgrading the power supply and graphics card.

Has a XPS 700 power supply been found that works with any of the new cards?

I look forward to any replies.

Kind Regards

Denzil

January 24th, 2010 06:00

Just to get you to repeat yourself lol.

But do any of the modular power supplies have the 24pin and 20 pin?

They have interchangable ones or is that just the 8 & 6 pin ones?

Btw, thanks for your reply.

14.4K Posts

Hi,

I am having the same issue, I have a XPS 700 and I bought the GTX 280 from BFG. They said the Dell XPS 1000 Watts power produces only 18A each cable and by connectint two cables to the card I get only 30A. The GTX 280 requires 42A Minimum. I am also stuck with this problem, I see people have not helped here much but I still wanted to ask you DrNegative if you were able to find a PSU that will fit the computer and power the motherboard correctly please relpy as soon as you can I will be waiting for the reply.

Hammad.

Thankyou.

The only and i repeat only power supplies that will work in these systems is either the Dell 750w or Dell 1kw supplies. The Motherboards one these system are extremely proprititary as are the power supplies.

The 280 should have no problem running on a 1k supply and I am running a GTX260 on my 750w supply and have no power issues at all.

14.4K Posts

No this is not a standard supply and there is additional connections that other power supplies lack. 

No Events found!