Highlighted
wowee123
1 Copper

Dell XPS 700, Steady Amber Power light and fans on max not slowing down

Jump to solution

Was just sitting infront of my computer and watching a movie when all of the sudden my speakers started screeching, my computer froze. So i turn my computer off, this time i get a steady amber power light. So i do what dell says when i have a amber light. I reset my memory, my graphics card and checked all the power cables. After this nothing happens accept my fans start spinning at a constant high rate and i continue to have the steady amber light for my power. NOTHING shows up on my screen. Whats wrong? Pleas help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Davet50
5 Iridium

Re: Dell XPS 700, Steady Amber Power light and fans on max not slowing down

Jump to solution

Im afraid that the motherboard is gone. The only other thing to try is to unplug the power going to all the drives. IF you do this and still no better you need a new board.

As far as I know from previous posts the 700 boards are non existant. This will mean either looking for a 710 or 720 board. And there are also rumors that 710 boards are non existant also. You best bet would be to call Dell Spare Parst to see what they say

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

12 Replies
The_Namek
4 Germanium

Re: Dell XPS 700, Steady Amber Light, Loud Alarm and 2 very weak diagnostic lights

Jump to solution

wowee123,
Did you go through the entire troubleshooting wizard for that problem? Have all USB devices been disconnected from the system's ports? Did you reseat the power and data cables to all the drives? If you have then the next step is to clear NVRAM using the maintenance mode jumper.

XPS One. Core2 Duo @ 2.2GHz. 2 GB DDR2-667. WD2500AAJS 250GB SATA. Intel GMA 3100 video. 20" WSXGA HD LCD. 2 Megapixel Webcam. 8X DVD±RW. 8-in-1 Media Reader. 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless. Integrated High Def Audio. Internal Bluetooth 2.0. NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner. Windows 7 Professional SP1.

wowee123
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 700, Steady Amber Light, Loud Alarm and 2 very weak diagnostic lights

Jump to solution

UPDATE
No more loud alarm, reset all power cables once again, now when i turn my computer on all i get is a Steady Amber light and nothing else. Please help.

wowee123
1 Copper

Jump to solution

How do you clear the NVRAM using the mainteance mode jumper?

The_Namek
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Locate the password (PASSWORD) and CMOS (RTCRST) jumpers on the system board (see numbers 19 & 21 on this <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> diagram). Remove the password jumper plug, place it on the CMOS jumper pins and wait approximately 5 seconds. Note that the password jumper plug must be reinstalled on the password jumper pins in order to enable the password feature. Remove the jumper plug from the CMOS jumper pins and reinstall it on the password jumper pins to enable the password feature.

XPS One. Core2 Duo @ 2.2GHz. 2 GB DDR2-667. WD2500AAJS 250GB SATA. Intel GMA 3100 video. 20" WSXGA HD LCD. 2 Megapixel Webcam. 8X DVD±RW. 8-in-1 Media Reader. 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless. Integrated High Def Audio. Internal Bluetooth 2.0. NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner. Windows 7 Professional SP1.

wowee123
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Can you confirm that the computer is powered on when you perform this task.

Thanks

Jump to solution

wowee123,
When turned on, what color are the Diagnostic Lights?

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> 

A steady Amber power LED means some component has failed. You should take it down to the video card and 2 sticks of ram. Try the other 2 sticks etc.

wowee123
1 Copper

Jump to solution

After looking closer there are no diagnostic lights on.  It was a reflection only.  It's just the steady Amber power LED that is on and the fans. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
wowee123
1 Copper

Jump to solution

No they do not.