Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2009 10:00

Dell XPS 700, Steady Amber Power light and fans on max not slowing down

Was just sitting infront of my computer and watching a movie when all of the sudden my speakers started screeching, my computer froze. So i turn my computer off, this time i get a steady amber power light. So i do what dell says when i have a amber light. I reset my memory, my graphics card and checked all the power cables. After this nothing happens accept my fans start spinning at a constant high rate and i continue to have the steady amber light for my power. NOTHING shows up on my screen. Whats wrong? Pleas help

14.4K Posts

January 20th, 2009 11:00

Im afraid that the motherboard is gone. The only other thing to try is to unplug the power going to all the drives. IF you do this and still no better you need a new board.

As far as I know from previous posts the 700 boards are non existant. This will mean either looking for a 710 or 720 board. And there are also rumors that 710 boards are non existant also. You best bet would be to call Dell Spare Parst to see what they say

2.8K Posts

January 19th, 2009 12:00

wowee123,
Did you go through the entire troubleshooting wizard for that problem? Have all USB devices been disconnected from the system's ports? Did you reseat the power and data cables to all the drives? If you have then the next step is to clear NVRAM using the maintenance mode jumper.

7 Posts

January 19th, 2009 12:00

UPDATE
No more loud alarm, reset all power cables once again, now when i turn my computer on all i get is a Steady Amber light and nothing else. Please help.

7 Posts

January 19th, 2009 14:00

How do you clear the NVRAM using the mainteance mode jumper?

2.8K Posts

January 19th, 2009 20:00

Locate the password (PASSWORD) and CMOS (RTCRST) jumpers on the system board (see numbers 19 & 21 on this <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> diagram). Remove the password jumper plug, place it on the CMOS jumper pins and wait approximately 5 seconds. Note that the password jumper plug must be reinstalled on the password jumper pins in order to enable the password feature. Remove the jumper plug from the CMOS jumper pins and reinstall it on the password jumper pins to enable the password feature.

7 Posts

January 20th, 2009 06:00

Can you confirm that the computer is powered on when you perform this task.

Thanks

7 Posts

January 20th, 2009 07:00

After looking closer there are no diagnostic lights on.  It was a reflection only.  It's just the steady Amber power LED that is on and the fans. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 20th, 2009 07:00

wowee123,
When turned on, what color are the Diagnostic Lights?

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> 

A steady Amber power LED means some component has failed. You should take it down to the video card and 2 sticks of ram. Try the other 2 sticks etc.

14.4K Posts

January 20th, 2009 08:00

wowee123

Pull all the ram modules out of the system, pull all the cards out of the system.

Power on the system and listen to see if the fans and drives spin up. Look at the color/condition of the powerbutton light, look at the front panel diagnostic lights, listen for beeps. 

Report back with your findings.

Generally if you do this and the fans and drives spin up that means the powersupply is normally good, and it would be a motherboard issue.

Report back though with you findings for further help

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

They don't flash at all as the system powers on?

7 Posts

No they do not.

7 Posts

January 20th, 2009 09:00

With all the memory modules and cards out of my system. When i start my computer up there are no diagnostic lights, the power button is a Steady Amber, there are no beeps, and the fans and drives spin up.

No Events found!