Davet50
6 Indium

Re: Dell XPS 710 motherboard

None of the motherboards were Defective as you believe. The 710 had a some minor improvements over the 700 board and the 720 used a newer chip set.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
LandyLeon
1 Nickel

such a waste of materials and money! I hate throwing away stuff.

Its still the best looking case ive seen yet! Shame the mobo lets it down. I thought PC's were supposed to be upgradeable etc, that's why I haven't bought a mac so far!

What do we think of Alienware? I see that it is now a part of dell, but are they a good 'off the shelf' replacement?

0 Kudos
Aries88
1 Copper

I am personally not a fan of "off the shelf" machines, you always get stuck in the same shituation that you are now with proprietary stuff, but I have read only good reviews of the product.

0 Kudos
Davet50
6 Indium

The original concept of these three systems was that they would be upgradable. The problem came when Intel dropped the BTX design. Since Dell was First to market with this design they were caught flatfooted when Intel dropped the design. Dell did try to make the best of the situation but IMHO they really did not go far enough in trying to make these killer systems. That said the case design is one of the best that Dell has every come up with. I wish that they would have made a kit to help convert the case to allow ATX style boards to fit. Now that would have been a real feather in their caps.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
Honeyweb
1 Copper

I have also have a Dell XPS 710 that I use for my business. The mother board has died for the 5th time (12/3/2012) and I have just been told by Dell they don't have any spare parts and bad luck that I can't fix it. I have all company files on this PC so thanks Dell, how am I mean't too recover all that data????

0 Kudos
Davet50
6 Indium

You will need to pull you hard drive out and on a different computer install your programs then use the drive with all you files as  a secondary drive. Depending on the new system you can put the drive either internally or use an external case to connect the drive

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
LandyLeon
1 Nickel

I have since had a new computer built, and my dell is just a doorstop now! (also makes for a sturdy seat)

The hard drives from the dell, I still cannot access as they were both set to work as RAID and I cant get anything from them when I plug them into my new machine.

All this stuff done by dell so you have to keep buying dell, has lost them my business. Im sure they dont care.

0 Kudos
Davet50
6 Indium

There is no system that will restore a Raid Array  that is not on the orginal system. That is why backups are extremely important.

It would not even benifit you to get a 720 board as the array would not load on a different motherboard either.

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Backups are the user's responsibility regardless of whether the system is defective or not.  Dell bears responsibility for the hardware and none for your data.  You can access data on an Intel RAID setup, but you'll need to do your homework:

www.intel.com/.../CS-022435.htm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
giles4000
1 Copper

If you were in the UK, i could help as i run my own computer support business!

I too am in the middle of fixing an XPS710 PC for one of my customers (used as a business machine). Same problem, no motherboard stock left, and any that are going second hand on ebay, tend to go at high prices if you can get one at all.

My advice is to get a new PC - ATX form factor, intel i5 or i7 etc..., pop your hard drives from the XPS into the new one (into the SATA ports) and read the data off like that. Just make sure your new system doesn't try and boot off your old hard disks, as this will not work (it shouldn't cause any damage to your old drive data). Once connected and recognised in Windows, you should be able to browse to all your files and get all your data off - (outlook files are .PST's and outlook express is .DBX), pics, docs, etc... all obtainable. You can even mount the user profiles DAT files to look through the old registry to obtain Email Account settings and other useful stuff.

If you have company accounts in say a program like Sage, and you need to import the data, this and a lot of other good quality software will have a feature to import data off a hard drive.

Unfortunately, most of the hardware you have for the XPS will just have to be sold off and replaced with an ATX type PC - thats the root I'm going to take. Good luck!  Giles

0 Kudos