Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2013 08:00

Dell XPS 710 won't boot!!??

I just received a Dell XPS 710 for free from a friend. When I try to turn it on it all fans and drives turn on for roughly 1 second and then nothing. Inside the case there is a solid amber light on the motherboard. I decided to unplug various components to see if i can pinpoint anything. The only time the machine turns on and stays on is if I remove all of the RAM. Leaving any of the 4 Memory cards plugged in cause the computer to just turn off within 1 second. At first I thought it would be a Mobo issue but now I am not too sure. Could all 4 RAM sticks be corrupt? Even if I have all the RAM out it still does not have a boot screen - nothing loads on screen. 

Does anyone have any thoughts?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

SvenS

Check the colour of the power button LED, is it blinking green, solid green, blinking amber, solid amber?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages?

Check the sequence of the four diagnostic lights [ 1 2 3 4 ], located on the front panel, next to the front USB ports.

The XPS 710 Diagnostic Guide and Troubleshooter, is HERE<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Have you tried the following procedure?

Remove all the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1 and see if the system boots and if the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.

Does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the system boots, no boot, try the module in slot 3, no boot, try installing in slot 4.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

Still no boot, try installing any remaining modules, one at a time, using the above procedure.

Continue until you have identified any faulty module [or slot] or reinstalled all modules without error.

Still does not boot, buy a new compatible memory module and try that.

If the computer still does not start, then it's possible that the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced.

Bev.

4 Posts

With all the memory installed I get the following:

lights 3 + 4 turn on immediately and within a half second the number 1 comes on for a fraction of a second before everything goes dead.

With all the memory removed:

lights 3 + 4 turn on immediately followed by the number 1. Lights 3 + 4 turn off within a second and only number 1 stays on. The Power Button LED is a steady green. When it first boots up it 'beeps' 4 times followed by a 2 second gap with 2 more beeps. Then the machine is on like normal. Nothing on the screen though. The amber light on the Mobo remains on though.

I will work on the Memory module swaps next.

Thank you for the quick response!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 4th, 2013 09:00

SvenS

Diagnostic lights, 3-4, indicate a memory issue, could be the modules, or the motherboard.

Try downloading the XPS 710 guide I posted a link to, as a reference.

Bev.

4 Posts

Actually the beep code is 1-3-2. Didnt realize there was a gap after the first beep.

4 Posts

ANY memory module added causes the machine to shut off within a second of turning it on. It doesnt matter where i put the RAM or in what order. I assume the odds of all 4 Memory Modules being corrupt are slim to none.

Looks like I have to face the facts and assume the mobo is shot. Can these be repaired since I dont feel like shelling out $200+ for one on ebay.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

SvenS

You assume right, one or two failed modules, maybe, but all four I seriously doubt it.

There are companies that repair motherboards, but I cannot say how good they are, having never used them, as I usually replace them.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q=desktop+motherboard+repair+service&oq=desktop+motherboard+repair+service&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i30j0i5i30.564157.568049.0.570291.8.8.0.0.0.0.592.1847.0j6j1j5-1.8.0...0.0...1c.1.15.psy-ab.L3kD6YN-gO0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=ca33fb1d859d4062&biw=1266&bih=582

The problem with EOL machines, is that usually the replacement parts are usually used and the same age as the EOL computer and could have the same issues in the near future.

Bev.

No Events found!