Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2015 00:00

Dell XPS 710 won't turn on anymore.

Hi,

My Dell XPS 710 can no longer be turn on anymore.   Whenever the power is plugged in, I do hear a click at the power supply, but nothing happens  There is nothing running at all, except a blinking amber light in the front, and solid amber light on the motherboard. .  Please help.

Thanks

July 5th, 2015 18:00

The issue went away after the installation of newly acquired 1000W PSU.  Also opened up the old PSU.  Took some photos.  Did not see anything obviously wrong. 

780 Posts

June 26th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us.

Was there any power surge before the PC stopped working?

Is it possible for you to try reseating the components like Memory and Graphics card?

This would help us narrow down the issue to the component that is faulty.

Thank you

June 26th, 2015 09:00

Thank you very much for the quick response.  I was not there when the computer went off unexpectedly.  After unsuccessfully trying to turn the computer back on, I just unplugged the power cord from the wall for about 20 minutes.  Then the computer was able to turn on again.  It sounded like some kind of relay in the power supply was not able to kick in initially.

June 26th, 2015 23:00

Can not turn on the computer again today after a normal shutdown.  Exact the same issue as yesterday with blinking amber light in the front, nothing else.  Normally, when the computer is energized, you can hear a click in the power supply and then the fan and lights will go on momentarily.  Now, I can only hear a click and then blinking amber light.  I also tried to check out the power supply by itself by connecting the green and black wires at the main power supply to the motherboard connection.  Nothing happens.  Unplugged the power supply for about 20 minutes.  Now everything is up and running back to normal again.  Very strange.  Perhaps my power supply is going bad.

780 Posts

June 27th, 2015 02:00

Hi,

Yes, its seems like power supply is reaching its usable life, however there are little chances this can be the system board also.

Thank you

June 27th, 2015 03:00

Also, I have upgraded the system recently as follow:

1. CPU upgraded from E6400 (65W) to QC6800 (130W)

2. Added an additional Western Digital 4TB hard drive (5W)

This power up issue only showed up 3 days after these two upgrades.

I hope it is only the power supply turn-on issue.  Once it is running, everything is totally normal.  I have just ordered an used power supply (1000W) to replace the current one (750W).

780 Posts

June 27th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

Please update us after you take the new PSU is delivered and weather it resolves the issue or not.

Thank you

No Events found!