Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2013 14:00

Dell XPS 8300 & AMD Radeon R9 270x

Hey there Dell Community! This Christmas I received a Radeon R9 270x to replace my AMD Radeon 5700 HD Series.

Unfortunately, after multiple tries I cannot get my new Graphics Card to work. Upon installing the graphics card, the fans spin, the lights turn on, and the everything else works. However, the monitor does not display anything, the keyboard does not turn on, and neither does the mouse.

I have gone through 3 different PSU's now, and none of them have worked. Also, I have tried updating the BIOS, but it seems that the last time DELL updated the BIOS was in November of 2011 even though the computer was released in 2011. I am beginning to get very frustrated as I thought the card was faulty, so I returned it to get a new one. Upon doing so, and installing the new card it still did not work. 

I do not quite understand why my computer will not work, and why there have been no recent BIOS updates. 

Is there anything I can do to get this graphics card to work? I am very disappointed that I cannot use my computer after a family member spent a large sum of money to get me a christmas gift.

The specifications of my computer are..

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Dell OY2MRG Motherboard

8 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium

The graphics card I received is a Diamond Radeon R9 270x

If someone can help me with some troubleshooting, or give any suggestions in what I can do, I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you.

20 Posts

September 5th, 2014 20:00

I just got a R9 270X card, returned the first one because of black screen, got another one and a 750W supply, still black screen.

I currently have a NVIDIA GTX650 and would like something more powerful. Do I really have to buy a new computer for this ?

6 Posts

November 8th, 2014 13:00

Thanks for the info!  I'm willing to give it another shot.  I didn't know about the dual bios switch.  Which make/model of the R9 270X do you have specifically?  Do they all have this switch?

84 Posts

November 11th, 2014 07:00

Look at the horror story going on here and you will quickly realize that XPS8700 owners like me are having the same problem. You would think that Dell would finally get their act together after such a long time taking advantage of their customers but apparently they just like to steal their money and run and make another useless XPS model. Rinse repeat.

en.community.dell.com/.../19601491

November 29th, 2014 17:00

Hey i have a gigabyte r9 270x OC edition and cannot find the switch you're talkinga bout please help :( i dont want to waste ~ 300 $ with the new gpu and psu

6 Posts

December 1st, 2014 08:00

Not all cards have this switch.  I decided to give it another try and purchased a new card.  It did not have the switch the previous poster talked about, but I'm happy to report that it is working fine out of the box.  Easy and problem free install and it's been running stable for the past week or so.

This is the card that finally worked for me:

SAPPHIRE R9-270XOC 2GB D5 DDHDP

www.microcenter.com/.../Radeon_R9_270X_Overclocked_2048MB_DDR5_PCIe_30x16_Video_Card

3 Posts

December 11th, 2014 12:00

I had a similar issue with another machine of mine.

I bought a new video card that only supported PCIE 3.0 and was not backward compatible.

Just check the motherboard specs and make sure that the video card supports that PCIE version.

Cheers.

30 Posts

December 11th, 2014 18:00

The new cards gtx 970 or 980, the AMD Radeon r9 series, do not work with the xps 8300 motherboard.

December 11th, 2014 19:00

I have a Saphire R9 270 Dual X video card that replaced my original HD5870 and it was plug and play right out of the box in my 2011 model XPS 8300.  Not sure why others are having this problem and not me.

30 Posts

Same issue here, I wish Dell would make a statement to all xps 8300 users, so we can move on if we truly cant do anything about this.

30 Posts

Did you run yours in legacy?

3 Posts

December 12th, 2014 05:00

Looking online PCIE 3.0 is supposed to be backward compatible.

My problem could have been that the video card was demanding more power from the bus than my stock power supply could have provided

5 Posts

December 17th, 2014 14:00

Just got around to replying now.

I had a Dual fan Sapphire Radeon, and my GPU did not have that switch.

Thanks for posting this for other users though, much appreciated.

Happy Holidays.

59 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 12:00

Captainv - can you elaborate a little bit?

Which particular video card did you use (MSI, Gigabyte, or whoever, and what model number?), and what's this switch you're talking about?  Does the switch say anything, or does it have a particular name?

I'm looking to go with an R9 285 myself, so any information you can give would greatly help.

1 Message

March 29th, 2015 08:00

Hi, I just finished installing a msi r9 270x 2g video card on my 2011 xps 8300 and I ran into the same issue as everyone did.

Ther is several ways you can go around this issue without changing anything on your computer.

The first one is to remove all video cards from your mother board and plug in your monitor into the onboard vga or hdmi plug located to the back of your computer( probably hidden by a plastic cover)

Download and install all drivers....then without unpluging your monitor install your new hardware and now restart your computer.it will go to your onboard display, at this point 2 things can happen either your window start normaly and you are able to see your system looking for new hardware and if so let it do its thing or you will get a message asking you to unplug the present onboard display adaptor and plug into the new hardware....

Then do just that and your new card as been detected...

The weird part is that some video cards will respond to that some others wont, in the case of mine it was as simple as pushing a switch on the card located to the left of the two six pins connector and restard.

I tryed several gpu using this method and was able to get a picture everytime...

Please feel free to contact me for questions...

5 Posts

April 14th, 2015 13:00

I bought the sapphire version of your card and installed it in the same machine and if fired up right off the bat. maybe the card is defective? that happens alot. unless you return it and get a different manufacturer.

hope you get it to work. get great frame rates for battelfield 4 on ultra. between 60-80. warframe and starcraft lookd great also.

good luck

No Events found!