ipwn3r456
1 Nickel

Dell XPS 8300 GPU upgrade possible issues?

Hello community,

For a past few days, I have did some research about upgrading GPUs on the Dell XPS 8300, and I have see lots of people talking in the forums that they are having lots of problems when installing a Geforce 600 series and Radeon HD 7000 series card. I don't know why does it happen, and I really wonder. I might be upgrading a new GPU within a next few months, possibly for the next generation (Geforce 700 series or Radeon HD 8000 series). Does anyone know why?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
7- Gold

Re: Dell XPS 8300 GPU upgrade possible issues?

Hi ipwin3r456,

Sort of hard to answer without knowing what "problems" you are talking about.

0 Kudos
Kelbear1
4 Tellurium

I don't think it is clear as to what the compatibility issues are with some video cards.  There have been several people reporting issues with the GTX 600 series and some HD 7000 series cards.  It's not really a power issue because others have replaced their power supplies and the cards still did not work.  Recently someone I was helping could not get a particular HD 7870 to work, but an HD 7850 did work from another manufacturer.  At the time of release, only GTX 500 and HD 6000 series cards were tested and validated for the system by Dell.  The XPS 8500 has also had some problems with certain cards.  Since support for the XPS 8300 such as new bios releases, etc. will not be available anymore, it's hard to say what was causing the problems.  Unless you stay up with forum users and buy a card that has been known to work for someone, it could very well be a shot in the dark. 

What card do you have now?  Are you just looking for a basic video card or a higher-end gaming card?  Of course, it would be hard to say if there is going to be any compatibility issues with the next generation of cards.  The current generation is already a generation past the release of the XPS 8300.  However, as it is suppose to be, everything should always be backwards compatible since we upgrade these parts much more often than we upgrade our entire systems.  I run an HD 6000 series card on an old Dell from 2004 and it works fine and several others have said that their cards have worked fine in older Dells and just have problems on the new XPS machines. 

0 Kudos
ipwn3r456
1 Nickel

The problem I have heard from people are that, I am not totally sure, like when they plug in the card, the system runs, but the BIOS does not detect the card. Right now I have a HD 6770, which I am kind of fine of it's performance, but such games as Crysis 3 isn't letting me playing well on even low-medium settings. I am looking for a gaming card, not very high-end ones, like for this generation, something like HD 7870 or GTX 660 is my choice. But right now, I somehow want to wait for the next generation Graphics card, since it's already the 2nd quarter of the year. I don't really remember this, but like, is it not a good idea to buy factory overclocked cards? Is it the reason that the BIOS does not detect it? Because some of the posts from other forums, people are having problems with factory overclocked cards. Not totally sure about that, just want to share it out.

0 Kudos
Kelbear1
4 Tellurium

I would stay with stock speeds and not buy a factory overclocked card to play it safe.  The HD 7850 is still a good choice for the game.  It is above the recommended requirements and comes with a good price.  

0 Kudos
ipwn3r456
1 Nickel

Thanks for the Graphic cards Crysis 3 comparison chart Kelbear1, I have see it too on Tom's Hardware's website. I think I will be getting a new GPU at this summer, as I need to save money, so I don't know if there will be next generation Graphics cards. Plus, I might be investing on a new Power supply also, since Dell XPS 8300's power supply may not be enough for it. Yeah, I will be looking for cards that have stock speeds.

0 Kudos