Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 14th, 2015 08:00

Dell XPS 8300 Won't Boot

Hi there,

I went to boot up my XPS 8300 a few weeks back and it was completely dead, nothing happens when I press the power button.

The previous time I used it I had no issues whatsoever and it shut down fine. I have a surge protecting extension cable protecting it so I don't think it could be a power surge that might have fried something.

Anyway, I am trying to work out if it's the PSU or the MB that is the issue but I need a bit of help.

When I plug in the power cord a small green light on the back of the PSU come on so does that mean that the PSU is fine? The fan at the bottom on the PSU within the chassis never spins up but maybe that only spins if the PC boots?

Also, when I plug in the power cord a small orange light is always lit on the motherboard, it's just to the right of the RAM modules. Does anyone know what this light means?

I think this orange light has always been shining once the PC has been plugged in.

I have seen several posts saying to remove all peripherals from the PC and then try and boot but this doesn't help. I have read that some stated it was the CMOS battery but I have changed this and no joy. Somebody posted that it was the CPU fan that was the issue so disconnect that and then try to boot but that too didn't work.

I saw some post about how to test the CPU with a paper clip but I'm a bit worried about trying this in case I fry something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know the PC is quite old but it has hardly been used so it should last better than this.

Thanks,

Mac

1.2K Posts

July 14th, 2015 21:00

Good day !

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum .

If the light at the back of the pc stays on it means the power supply unit is working fine .

Now with steady amber condition it indicates the system is in standby mode ,I would request you to try these steps and advise the result ,

*Disconnect the system from wall socket ,press and hold the power button for 15-20 secs then connect the system to wall socket and try to turn on the system .Here we tried to release the static charge from the system .

*If the system still fails to power on then I would suggest you to reseat all the connections to the system ( kindly note to turn of the system while reseating it ) then connect the system to wall socket and try to turn on the system .

Do reply to this post with the results after performing the tests .

Have a good day !

Kindest Regards,

July 15th, 2015 02:00

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have tried both those solutions a few times now but with no success I'm afraid.

I also tried the paperclip method to test the PSU and I can confirm that it is working also.

Sounds like my MoBo is dead? No light is ever coming from the power button on the top of the chassis.

Thanks,

Mac

1.2K Posts

July 16th, 2015 11:00

Hi Macartanmcquaid,

Thank you for the reply!

In this case I suspect system board failure ,Kindly provide the service tag of the system ( via private message only ) so that I can check the system specification and confirm the same .

Kindest Regards ,

July 17th, 2015 09:00

Hi Jennifer,

I have ordered a new motherboard, Dell part number 0Y2MRG.

I will post an update to let you know if this resolves the issue.

Thanks,

Mac

1.2K Posts

July 17th, 2015 11:00

Hi ,

Thank you for the reply .If there are any concerns send them our way .

Kindest Regards,

July 22nd, 2015 07:00

Hi folks,

Just a quick update!

My new motherboard arrived today so I put it in and now everything is back working 100%.

It is concerning that the motherboard could fail while the computer wasn't switched on and I already had a surge protector in place.. Perhaps the surge protector is not working correctly..

Anyway, all now is back as it was, very straight forward to install the new motherboard.

Thanks,

Mac

1.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2015 22:00

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the reply ! Glad the issue is resolved , but  do monitor the system  if there are any concerns send them our way .

Regards ,

No Events found!