Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2016 16:00

Dell XPS 8300 crashes repeatedly

We've got a Dell XPS 8300 desktop with intel i7-2600k cpu, Nvidia gtx 560ti graphics.   The computer crashes repeatedly.  We've had the computer a few years but it only started doing this a few months ago.  At any rate, I've read on this forum that there's a bug in the Nvidia gtx 560ti.  One user received a replacement from Dell that solved the problem.   If this is the case how can I get one from Dell?  Any suggestions welcome.

5 Posts

August 5th, 2016 18:00

fair enough.  I've run diagnostics, checked cpu and gpu temp, installed new copy of OS etc.  I've cleaned the cpu fan etc.  I'll check the drivers.   I've read some forum posts from users like me who've had the gtx 560ti for a few years before it died.  do you know of any good gpu diagnostics that might detect a failing graphics card?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

You seem convinced it's the video card so you may be overlooking lots of other potential causes. And things do fail, including video cards and everything else...

What does "crash" actually mean? BSOD, freeze, reboot...? If there's BSOD, post exactly what it says.

You still didn't mention version of Windows.

Lots of things on my list you didn't mention having done, eg:

• Reseat everything in their slots
  • Scan for malware
  • Look in Event Viewer
  • Defragged
  • etc

You can look at GPU-Z (free).

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

If you had the PC for a few years and it only now started to crash, I don't think you can conclude it's due to some "bug in the Nvidia gtx 560ti". And if you're out of warranty, Dell is unlikely to replace the card, anyway.

Lots of reasons for random crashes:

1. Have you run full diagnostics from the F12 menu available when you boot?
  2. Any error messages in Windows Event Viewer at time of crash? (What version of Windows)?
  3. Any signs of overheating?
  4. Have you scanned thoroughly for malware?
  5. Have you installed any new software recently?
  6. Are all your drivers up-to-date (chipsets, video card, etc)?
  7. Do you have the latest version of BIOS?
  8. How much free space is available on the hard drive
  9. When was hard drive last defragmented (assuming is a hard drive, not a solid state drive)?
  10. Try re-seating RAM modules and PCI cards in their slots
  11. Make sure all internal cable connections are secure
  12. Use canned air to blow out dust bunnies and make sure all fans are clean and work
  13. etc

Edited

5 Posts

Thanks for the response.  I'll collect some info and reply tomorrow.  Good night.

5 Posts

August 20th, 2016 11:00

Hello Ron

The crashes are usually when the computer just freezes.  The cursor won't move.  When I try to restart the computer I get the blinking amber light and nothing more.   After ten or so minutes pause the computer will then restart.

I've taken all the steps outlined in your previous messages.  No issues there.  You can download a copy of the the process viewer here:  https://we.tl/Qy0FNDnsYd    It's Greek to me.  I've removed a usb card from one of the pcie slots.  Am hoping that's what's causing the crashes.  

Any suggestions you have are welcome.

Thanks

Rob

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 21st, 2016 17:00

Sorry, I'm not downloading the software from your link, regardless of whether you consider it "safe" or otherwise. If you need me to see the report, copy/paste it into this thread.

I gather you don't see anything relevant in the Windows Event Viewer around the time of a crash..

From the manual: Blinking amber — There may be a problem with either the system board or the power supply.

Since it restarts after a while, it sounds like either a failing power supply and/or overheating. Check that all fans are working correctly and use canned air to blow out the dust bunnies from inside the case. Reboot and press F12. Go to the diagnostics and run the CPU fan tests.

Assuming the CPU fan passes, you have several things to try, in order of lowest to highest cost:

1. Remove the add-in video card and switch over to onboard video as a test of the add-in card, assuming you have a monitor that supports either VGA or HDMI
  2. Remove CPU heat sink. (Do not remove CPU from the socket!) Gently clean both surfaces and apply a small amount of fresh thermal paste (eg, Arctic Silver) and reattach the heat sink.
  3. Install a new power supply

No Events found!