Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2013 16:00

Dell XPS 8500 100% Disk Usage

Greetings All! I'm usually pretty darn tech-savvy but this has me stumped:

I have a new (01/2013) Dell XPS 8500, 2TB hdd and the 32gb mSATA cache drive, 12GB RAM, Radeon HD 7700, i7, etc.

I Love it 90% of the time, however it will sporadically get really slow and I noticed that even though CPU/Memory/Network usage is well within normal ranges (less than 30-40% at the high end for each), the disk usage will jump up to 100% even if I'm only doing one disk-intensive task. Particularly, though not limited to, it happens when I'm un-RAR'ing a file, using QuickPar to check a binary download, converting a video file, etc.

I've checked Task Manager and its various views and used (or tried) the Process Explorer from Microsoft and I can't seem to find why. I've also tried the Intel Rapid Storage Technology setting for the SSD caching at both "Enhanced" and "Maximize" and have tried disabling/enabling "Windows Write-Cache buffer flushing". No combination seems to fix the problem. It seems to me that it HAS to be something to do with the mSATA/"SSD caching" or some other HDD issue. I don't have any aftermarket defrag software (uninstalled Diskeeper thinking maybe that was an issue), I've tried disk cleanup and running window's defragmenting. 

Any suggestions/tips/ideas are MUCH appreciated. THANK!

17 Posts

March 20th, 2013 18:00

Yes, that's what I figured too...if I was correct about it not happening. Is there another low-footprint app that measures live disk usage to use instead of Task Manager?

So when I run msconfig and click the startup tab in links me to task manager and its list of startup apps (only like 5)...I'm thinking you mean a different list? Something more like the services.msc list?

17 Posts

March 20th, 2013 20:00

Yes, I understand and that's what I ran. However, when I click the startup tab it just gives a link to open task manager with the startup tab in focus. Is this the list of startup programs that I should disable (do your aforementioned numbered process?) Seems like I should be looking at more comprehensive list of apps/services, right? (and thank you, but yes I know the trouble with disabling windows services too indiscriminately!) 

Thanks for your patiences

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 20th, 2013 20:00

I meant msconfig, not services.msc.

You have to be very careful about preventing services from starting automatically at boot. If you block the wrong service it might never boot again.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 21st, 2013 19:00

Yes, those are the Startup items. Keep in mind that some things like the Logitech mouse (Setpoint) and audio (Realtek) might not work quite right when you disable the corresponding item in Startup, but this is just a test to see if we can identify something that's causing high disk usage.

Might be a good idea to write down names of what you disable so you don't enable something later, that's already disabled now, and probably not contributing to the problem.

17 Posts

March 26th, 2013 19:00

17 Posts

March 26th, 2013 19:00

Well I tried unplugging the SATA HDD and replugging it in (I couldn't get to what I think is the MSATA drive) and it has not helped. In fact the problem is becoming more and more constant (i've attached another screenshot) . This is just about 10 minutes after re-powering after 're-seating' the HDD and without loading up any apps/programs other than Chrome. So I don't know what is going on and I haven't had any luck getting to a warranty...Very disheartening I must admit. What began as more of a mild inconvenience and technological curiosity is starting  to impede my 'computing' and it's very, VERY frustrating/discouraging that I won't have the Dell warranty...which is one of the main reasons that I felt so confident buying the machine 'second-hand'...*sigh*

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 27th, 2013 15:00

Your image is too small for me to read. So what process(s) are reported with high disk activity? And refresh my RAM, is this Win 7 or 8?

Seems a lot of people have complained about similar issues with PCs from various manufacturers, eg here, here. So this may not be unique to your system.  Various causes proposed along with various solutions in those threads, and not clear to me which will work for you.

It may end up needing a clean reinstall of Windows if none of the suggestions in those threads (eg, Windows Indexing Service, "Auto-defragmenting" running etc.)  help your situation.

17 Posts

March 27th, 2013 16:00

OK, I don't mean this to sound dumb but if you click the picture does it not bring up the full size?

I'm on Windows 8, 64-bit.

I see exactly what you mean and it appears that these people are experiencing EXACTLY what I am: 100% disk usage while showing low rates of actual data transfer taking place.

I know what "clean reinstall of Windows" meant in the past...but do you think that the new Windows 8 "reset" feature (which I've only read about/seen in passing and haven't actually researched) will work as well? THe problem with a clean reinstall, as I understand that term, is that I don't have a system disk...

I switched the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software back from "Maximized" to "Accelerated" and that seems to have (at least temporarily) solved the basic-computing impairments...but it still spikes up to sustained 100% usage levels if I'm using WinRAR, QuickPAR, transcoding video, running a SuperAntiSpyware scan, etc.

Thanks again for your continued help and for pointing me to those forums. At the very least I don't feel so alone and/or crazy now!

254 Posts

March 27th, 2013 17:00

after all this diagnosing and troubleshooting I am really wondering if there is something wrong with the actual hard drive ... a lot of what you describe is a lot like a laptop I had years ago when its hard drive was dying.

17 Posts

March 27th, 2013 17:00

Could be right. Certainly a possibility. However, I don't hear any clicking/whirring and is 100% usage really a dying HDD symptom? (I'm really asking, not trying to make a point, ha!) Also, the fact that it's intermittent but tied to intensive software program rather than a constant, random type of issue makes me think think that it might be something else...but who knows! I'm keeping it in mind. Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 27th, 2013 18:00

You should be able to use the Windows Reset feature to get back to a clean state, but you'll have to back up all your personal files on external media first and you'll have to install all Microsoft updates again and any software you added. Make sure you have installation disks and all product keys for your software before reverting back to the factory state.

Do you have the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology, BIOS A10, chipsets etc for the XPS 8500? (Be sure to select the right OS before downloadning drivers!)

Depending on brand of hard drive installed, you might go to that manufacturer's own site and download their diagnostics software for your hard drive model. See if that reports anything bad before you decide to reset Windows.

If the drive is failing, you may have to  purchase a new Win 8 license to reinstall because you don't have Dell's warranty and they probably won't send the disk if the unit isn't under warranty and/or if you're not the registered owner.

March 27th, 2013 19:00

I noticed you are using Chrome.  On some machines with HD and SSD, Chrome can "wait for cache" which slows and eventually stops the machine, even if a recent boot with little or no other software installed.  I have the same machine and by uninstalling Chrome and using a different browser, it cleared the problem.

Do a Google search for "Chrome waiting for cache error" and you will see a lot of detail on this.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 28th, 2013 14:00

Chrome can "wait for cache" which slows and eventually stops the machine

Interesting to hear that about Chrome.

BTW: What brand SSD is installed in this system? Apparently Dell switched to Micron SSD drives after originally using Samsung SSD drives. There's some kind of 'glitch' between the Micron SSD and Dell PCs so a fix specific for Micron SSDs was issued. It's listed under SATA on the Drivers/Download page for the XPS 8500 as "Product feature for dirty power down". Not exactly sure what it does or when, but if this XPS 8500 has a Micron SSD, you probably should install that too.

17 Posts

March 28th, 2013 22:00

Wow. Well that is one problem/solution that certainly would have never crossed my mind. Is there a setting within chrome (like the "predict network actions to improve load performance" or something? I already, and have always, had the "let apps run in the background" option disabled) that I could try? If task manager shows that there is no instance of chrome running, is it possible that it is having an effect? I haven't tried to see if this would influence my issue or not, but I can't imagine not using Chrome going forward...which might sound a bit sad but I'm a huge fan.

Thanks for the tip regardless. I'll keep investigating it as a possibility.

17 Posts

March 28th, 2013 22:00

Thanks (again) RoHe. Yeah, firmware was the very first issue I looked into. I have the "Samsung SSD PM830 mSATA 32GB" on firmware CXM12D1Q.

That's according to the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" software, cause that's the only way I know that I even HAVE an SSD. This is my first SSD and definitely first experience with an mSATA, but it doesn't show up under Device Manager at all. I only see: ST2000DM001-1CH. Regardless, I don't see anyway to update the firmware (if an update even exists).

As I mentioned, moving back to "Enhanced" mode in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology setting has put the issue back sporadic occurences, mostly only when doing the resource/disk intensive tasks mentioned previously. So at least I can use my computer again wihtout the 30 second 'pauses' or super-slowness...still doesn't seem right to me though.

I'm thinking my next attempt will be to do the Windows 8 "Reset PC" feature, not to be confused with "Refresh"...or do I have them backwards again?! ha...I'll be 110% sure before clicking "go" when/if I decide to do it.

Aside from this issue though I will say (for any casual browsing readers) that I do love the PC! Yes, I know it's a bit of the "Well other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the show?" thing but I just didn't want to scare away potential owners. I think (hope!) that if I had access to Dell Tech Support they would have taken care of the issue by now, even if it meant replacing the HDD and/or SSD.

No Events found!