Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2017 20:00

Dell XPS 8500 - Downgrading from a i5

Hello, 

I recently came across my old XPS 8500. It was the stock i5 model. Sadly my i5 processor that came with the desktop no longer works. The rest of the contentments all work perfectly though. I would really like to restore this pc without breaking the bank. I was wondering if there was a compatible processor I could use as an alternative to the i5-3350P?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 12th, 2017 06:00

Just about any other Ivy Bridge desktop CPU will work - that said, CPUs rarely fail.  What symptoms lead you to believe it's the CPU that's faulty (in just about all cases, it's the system board that's faulty - not the CPU)?

May 12th, 2017 09:00

first I was getting a blue screen letting me know my hard drives failed. I later tested them each externally to confirm that they were indeed destroyed.

then I tested by motherboard to see if I would get the beep if the memory was removed, I received the beeps

then when plugging it back into a monitor the monitor would not even recognize the computer.. I proceeded to try this with the HDMI and VGA ports on my desktop on 3 different monitors; all giving me the same result.

I then thought the issue must of been my video card aswell

I took the computer into a small computer shop and they were not 100% sure, but they said theres a high chance that its my CPU

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 12th, 2017 12:00

I would get another opinion --  and if that shop didn't test the power supply, or swap it -- that would be the very first component I'd replace.

The next would be the mainboard.

CPU failure rates are very, very, very low - unless the CPU has been physically damaged or knowingly abused (overclocked), it's almost certain it's some other component that has failed.  

No Events found!