Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 26th, 2015 12:00

Dell XPS 8500 Power Supply: Should I Order New, Try to Fix, Go Back to Dell or Repair Services

It looks like I have an issue with my power supply: 

• The monitor won't recognize and goes into Power Save mode.
  • Once, it started by itself after I left alone for 15 minutes (not anymore, however). 
  • Some grunting noise from the back where the power supply is
  • Now the starter button is no longer lighting up, even though the computer seems to be on.

I had my system for 2Y and 6 months, so my system just went out of 2Y warranty so I'm on my own. 

Here're my options:

(1) It looks like I can buy one from Impact for $69 + shipping.  I'm a novice but am reasonably tech-savvy and can follow instructions.

https://www.impactcomputers.com/6gpr9.html?path=1004_1046_302_16460

(2) It looks like there are some places that do repair power supply. Is this worth it?  Also, there are places like LaptopMD (NYC area), Geeksquad and Staples EasyTech.  The reason why this may be an option is because I have 2 other fairly recent computers (probably motherboard issues) that I'm interested in salvaging.  There are some repair places that do soldering and motherboard repair for $199.

(3) The problem is I did invest quite a lot into my system. In that case, would going back to Dell for their renewal tech support deal (in my state), would that be worth it?

========================

System Config:  Dell XPS 8500 2013; 3.4 GHz; 12 Gb RAM; 64-bit OS; 2 Tb HD running Windows 8.1 2013

No Responses!
No Events found!