2 Bronze

Dell XPS 8500 how to enable wifi or wireless

I researched dell manual on the Dell XPS 8500 but it says nothing on how to turn on or  enable wireless

0 Kudos
16 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Dell XPS 8500 how to enable wifi or wireless

What version of Windows?

Did your system come with a WiFi card installed?  

You can go to Dell's  Support page and put in your Service Tag (don't post it here!)

www.dell.com/.../configuration

Look at the Original Configuration list to see if a WiFi card was included. Copy the name/number if a WiFI card is listed, eg Dell Wireless 1703 or 1704, or Intel 2230.  Once you know which WiFi card you have, make sure the driver is up-to-date by clicking Drivers and Downloads on the support page and downloading/installing the right driver for whichever WiFi card you have.

Assuming you have a WiFI card, you probably have to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the rear of the PC first. Then open the Windows Network and Sharing page to configure your WiFi network. You'll need the password for your WiFi router to create a secure connection to the PC.

You can go here for links to FAQs about setting up and connecting to a WiFi Network.

en.community.dell.com/.../19909081

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I meant if there's an Ethernet cable connected from the PC to a router/modem, the PC will typically offer you the Ethernet connection rather than WiFi.

Since  Win 7 was installed,  were all the drivers installed, in the correct order, starting with Chipset 9.3.0.1021 followed by USB3.0 eXtensible Host, video, audio, NIC, WiFi, etc?

Unless the chipset driver is installed first, other drivers may not install or may not work.

And obviously, you need to know what hardware you have, eg which video card, WiFi card etc. so you install the right drivers, and none of the drivers for hardware you don't have.

So start by making sure you have all the latest drivers first and see if the WiFi card gets recognized in Windows Device Manager before doing anything else. And make sure you select Win 7 from the OS list before downloading any drivers.

www.dell.com/.../drivers

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Windows 8 is what came installed on the computer

0 Kudos
7 Gold

And that is only one answer.

What about the other question?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

But that answer doesn't even address the first question. You said the PC came with Win 8 but the previous owner installed Win 7.

Win 8 and Win 7 use different drivers that have to be installed in the correct order after the OS is installed. They won't "carry over" from Win 8 to Win 7.  So if the required Win 7 drivers weren't installed after Win 7 was loaded, it's just not going to work, period.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
7 Gold

I don't see mention of Windows 7?   Did he edit his post?  

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

The WIFI card is optional.  There is no setting for on or off if the card is not there.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

2 Bronze

The reason im using Windows 7 home 64 is  the original hard drive in the computer died.

I called dell out of warranty and they sent me a usb then sent me dvd  of windows 8

The problem is that they are not the correct recovery software in fact all they are is windows 8 install disc or thumb or dvd. I go through setup and im asked for windows key code windows 8 computers dont have windows sticker. $19.99 im being told by tech support its motherboard problem but the computer runs windows 7 just fine.  Never buy a recovery disc from for windows 8 or windows 10 they dont work

0 Kudos
7 Gold

The reason im using Windows 7 home 64 is  the original hard drive in the computer died.

I called dell out of warranty and they sent me a usb then sent me dvd  of windows 8

The problem is that they are not the correct recovery software in fact all they are is windows 8 install disc or thumb or dvd. I go through setup and im asked for windows key code windows 8 computers dont have windows sticker. $19.99 im being told by tech support its motherboard problem but the computer runs windows 7 just fine.  Never buy a recovery disc from for windows 8 or windows 10 they dont work

I totally confused by what you wrote.

If the PC originally came with Windows 8, then the Windows 8 will activate automatically.

0 Kudos