Hafnes
1 Copper

Dell XPS 8700 is hard-locking during the game

Hello, i just bought new Dell XPS 8700, i have installed all driver, run most performence tests on official site, yet when i Play some of my games, like World of Warcraf for example, on the High graphics setting, the screen turns black with some stips, the fan starts to make a lot of noises. I checked if it is not overheating and the Temp was somethink 58. I tried to fix this problem in many ways, but nothings works. I'm tired and ready to give it back to the shop, i have no idea what's wrong. This is just one of few problems i have with this DELL but god... i cannot overlook this one. Please, lend me some ideas what to do other then give it back.

0 Kudos
8 Replies

RE: Dell XPS 8700 is hard-locking during the game

Hi Hafnes,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and Video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I’d suggest that you optimize and maintain your computer. Please run the fix it tools from the link below to check for issue resolution.

http://dell.to/1a2tzGD

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
Hafnes
1 Copper

Thanks for quick reply DELL-Ravi Ch,

I already did all you suggested, my BIOS is up to date, also when i tried to install Graphic Cards drives it says they are already installed. I could tell a little more in first post about my specification:

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 series ( I belive it is 270)

I already upadted anything i could find on the official site, also i tried to reproduce the issue with one of the diagnose tools, successfully, it hard -locked one time on the ADVANCED>HARDWARE>VIDEO CARD STREES test, but due to the Hardlock (Black screen, i needed to reset my pc) i could not report it.

I will try somethink with the Fix It tool, but im not sure where to look and for what.

UPDATE:

I have used the Fix it tool from windows site, and it install some others drivers, but still the game have crashed after few minutes, but this time there were so loud bass noises a second or two before hardlock. Still i needed to reset my pc.

0 Kudos

Hi Hafnes,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and inthe search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.

2. Select the Display adapters and right click on it.

3. Now select properties.

4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.

5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”

6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then AMD card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
jfaron
1 Copper

I've tried doing the above.. and still have the exact same issue.

I'm on the phone with costco, and they're going to be calling dell to check further into this issue.

0 Kudos
jfaron
1 Copper

On a couple side notes in the meantime, after I uninstall my video card drivers via Device Manager and restart.. my PC comes back up in full resolution, dual monitors.. as if nothing has changed. Is this supposed to be so?

On another side note, I installed windows 7, cleanly, to see if my PC would still crash while gaming.. and it did. Which is why it seems like a video card hardware issue or a driver issue with the latest ATI drivers for it that were used on windows 7 and windows 8.

And under the dell video card section for my service tag: BG7KH02

I don't see my actual video card (AMD Radeon R9 200), so I haven't been able to test out  your proposed solution.  I just see:

------------------------------------------------------------

AMD AREV Driver for Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 64bit Operating Systems View details

Video | Release date 12/30/2013 | Last Updated 12/30/2013| Recommended Other file formats available
Version 13.152.0.0000,A00
Geforce GT625,GT635 Win8/Win7 64bit driver View details
Video |Release date 7/3/2013| Last Updated 7/3/2013| RecommendedOther file formats available
Version 311.47,A00
Intel Video/Graphcis driver View details
Video |Release date 6/24/2013| Last Updated 7/3/2013| RecommendedOther file formats available
Version 15.31.64.3165,A02 | Other versions available
This file will automatically self-install after downloading. Restart required
nVIDIA Geforce GT 640/G405/GTX 660M/GTX650Ti/GTX645/GT620 Graphics Driver View details
Video |
Release date 6/24/2013
| Last Updated 3/21/2014
| Recommended
Version 311.06,A00
0 Kudos
dsnineteen
1 Copper

I am having the exact same issue with my 8700 as described by Hafnes.

I bought mine in end February 2014, this issue was immediately present, and it has progressively gotten worse since this time.

The machine crashes routinely, presenting either alternating stripes of colour and black, or complete black, on both monitors. Sound remains.

This happens most often when conducting video-heavy activity - watching films and playing games. World of Warcraft is certainly the worst offender, but this happens on a selection of modern titles including but not limited to FarCry 2, Portal 2 (and other Source engine games), Dead Space and BioShock games. Video players tested include VLC, KMPlayer and the native Windows 8 video app, on files of all lengths and qualities.

I have gone through everything except a total hard disk wipe and reinstall, which I am hesitant to do. This has all the symptoms of a faulty video card and I would like to know how to get Dell to acknowledge and remedy this.

0 Kudos
jfaron
1 Copper

Hey, so I had dell send me a replacement video card.. and it's completely resolved the issue.

I've seen others report the same solution.  I'm 100% thrilled that it was just a faulty card.  It appears that ATI made a lot of bad cards though... as this issue is widely reported.

0 Kudos
jfaron
1 Copper

I think you just need to call dell tech support and reference this issue.  It took me so many hours of dealing with different tech people there to finally have them send me a replacement card.  Good luck!

0 Kudos