Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 28th, 2015 11:00

Dell XPS 8900 Desktop Problem

I have an XPS 8900, Only 3 Weeks Old! Win 10, (2TB HDD,32 SSD Cache).The computer randomly restarts in Windows, When the Dell Logo appears (on the Top Left the picture shown appears!)

It then goes into Windows, any ideas? what is wrong?

2.3K Posts

November 28th, 2015 12:00

I dont know why your computer is shutting down like you said, however the screen you have shown is basically the 32Gig SSD Cache rebuilding itself due to the unexpected shut down and is apart of Intel's Rapid Storage technology program. 

48 Posts

November 28th, 2015 12:00

Thanks for your reply. I do shut down the machine in the evening in general. I am getting this restart quite frequently...?

1 Message

December 23rd, 2015 02:00

I don't have a solution, but just to let you know, you're not alone.

My machine is about 4 months old, an XPS 8700,  I have the SSD, and AMD radeon Graphics.

My machine always seems to do its RANDOM unscheduled reboot when I turn on my connected HDMI big screen TV. This led me to believe the problem was related to the video driver. I have installed every new update I could get my hands on but the problem persists. And i must stress that It appears to be quite random. I have tried turning off all screen savers and sleep modes. Have also tried waking this up by moving the mouse etc. before turning of the TV.

Please let me know if you manage to narrow anything down. 

Doug

48 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 03:00

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your message.

I believe I have worked out a Solution!  It took me a while. (I assume you are running Win 10)?

It's to do with Software/Programs that you may have installed.

For Example on my 8900. I had the Following installed in addition to Win 10:

- MS Office 2013 Pro Plus

- Acrobat Reader

- Winrar

- Some commercial downloader software - Work Related

- a Few Oracle database components linked with the software downloader - Work Related

My Solution:

The Downloader & the Oracle stuff is fully Win 10 Compliant. So what I did was just Uninstall both of them

And after that I'm not getting any problems/issues after that! - That's It!  

Win 10, just some how doesn't like them, I also did try to install them under Win 7 compatibility Mode that still

Had the same problems. (I have also run a Dell full blown Hardware test on the 8900, Which took about 15 hours, and it Passed every thing).

Not sure how many programs you have installed? But try uninstalling any programs you installed when this

Started to happen to you.

Let me know how you get on - Good Luck

Regards

mbakrania

Sent from my iPhone

1 Message

December 23rd, 2015 11:00

I have the same issue.  This is my 3rd one, after taking it back twice.  Microcenter put a new power supply in it, said it was fixed.  I have had 2 blue screens today, with restarts. The computer is 2 DAYS old. I have connected to newer monitors, and one older monitor, same issue.  The latest blue screen says "Fault bucket 0x124_GeniuneIntel_PCIEXPRESS, type 0 Event ID 1001. I would like to find a fix rather than take this beast back again.  If anyone can shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated.

XPS 8900 i7 6700K cup @4.00 GHz, 24 BG RAM Windows 10 (upgraded by Microcenter from 7)

Thanks, Susie

48 Posts

December 24th, 2015 03:00

Hi Susie

Could be a Hardware fault with the HDD!

Try running this: on Comand Prompt (Search for it on Win 10) run as Administrator

1. chkdsk on C drive

2. sfc /scannow

4. windows memory diagnostic tool

Note: When running all the above make sure no other apps are running, have look for any errors and what it has fixed. You may want to restart after or during the tests.

Good Luck

Marsh

1 Message

January 22nd, 2016 12:00

I am getting the same message. Unfortunately my XPS 8900 is in a continual loop and never gets past this screen so Windows 10 never boots. I have gone through the 8 hour hardware check etc.

I received delivery of the new 8900 just two days ago.  It initially booted up out of the box, then I loaded  Autodesk Revit and the 8900 crashed and since that has not booted up past the screen as shown in the OP's first photo.

If I do not get a satisfactory solution soon  I will put the 8900 back in its box and return it within the 14 day cooling off period.

48 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 11:00

Hi,

Try going into safe mode (keep pressing F8 When you turn the computer ON) if it does not work it means you haven't manually selected the F8 option with Win10.

The other thing you can do is download a ISO of Win 10 from microsoft and boot it on a USB Stick: (search for Win10 ISO from MS and follow the instructions)

Boot up on flash drive follow the onscreen info and go into safe mode or system restore then remove the Software that is causing problems. Should be able to boot into Windows now.

If I was you I would install a Virtual Machine like 'VirtualBox' install Win 10 and install the software within there.

I don't think its the Hardware, Your Computer is fine. its a Win 10 issue. I have had problems with some software and I use VirtualBox. or you can try to install software under Compatibility mode like Win7.

I have been an IT/Systems Engineer for almost 15 years.

Let me know how you get on?

Goodluck

Marsh

3 Posts

March 31st, 2016 23:00

Did you end up finding an answer or send it back? I'm in a similar place...

Thanks.

48 Posts

April 2nd, 2016 05:00

I never sent my 8900 back, I just installed a few programs & it seems to be working fine! Also I updated the Intel Chipset Drivers - Just do to the Dell Update downloader (should be installed on your machine, I live in England, not sure if you are from N.America) I have the software installed it will download to the latest version! Currently on the UK site the last update was around March this year!

No Events found!