Highlighted
bluegill362
1 Nickel

Dell XPS 8900 System Desktop Computer "freezes and hangups".

Jump to solution

I purchased a Dell XPS 8900 Desktop recently with Windows 7 Professional OP System pre loaded. The first thing I did was to make a list of the list of all system components, the date and version of each. Next I went to Dell's Web Site, enter the computer tag number, and created a list of all Dell updates for this computer. Then I downloaded and installed all component updates except the BIOS update which was the same version however there was no date listed for it.

I have experienced hang ups and freezes from the beginning of using this computer and I continue to have the same freezes and hang ups.
With the number of complaints of the same problem regardless of operating system you would think Dell Management and sales would recognize that there is a legitimate problem with this computer and assign their engineers to research the problem and issue either a recall or a fix to XPS 8900 users. I am a long time computer professional with over 45 years in the IT community. I have always trusted Dell and recommended their products to family and friends as well as contacts in the IT community and prospective buyers. Dell can either acknowledge the problem with this product and take appropriate corrective action or they can ignore the problem which will not go away but the buyers of Dell products will when the word gets out. I no longer feel comfortable buying or recommending Dell computers to or for anyone.

16 Replies
ieee488
6 Gallium

RE: Dell XPS 8900 System Desktop Computer "freezes and hangups".

Jump to solution

Just return it. Problem solved.

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Updating device drivers is usually a waste of time.

Hang-ups and freezes are many times due to programs that hog the CPU. Follow operations in the Task Manager to see what's using CPU and RAM resources when the hang-ups occur. The CPU usages can be sorted so that most usage is on top.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
cessnapilot231
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I'm an IT person as well.  I'm seriously thinking of shifting my loyalty to another brand like HP.  This is outrageous that they are basically ignoring the issue, ignoring my emails and basically saying 'oh well' in the phone calls. 

0 Kudos
ieee488
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

I'm an IT person as well.  I'm seriously thinking of shifting my loyalty to another brand like HP.  This is outrageous that they are basically ignoring the issue, ignoring my emails and basically saying 'oh well' in the phone calls. 

Go over to the HP forums if you think that it is any better over there.  Lenovo also has their forums. Then tell me it is all roses over "there".

0 Kudos
Dobby51
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The Skylake CPU has a bug that can cause your PC to freeze.

arstechnica.com/.../intel-skylake-bug-causes-pcs-to-freeze-during-complex-workloads

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

The Skylake CPU has a bug that can cause your PC to freeze.

arstechnica.com/.../intel-skylake-bug-causes-pcs-to-freeze-during-complex-workloads

A work-around reported for that specific Skylake issue is to disable Hyper-threading in BIOS setup. A number of users tried that on the XPS 8900 but it didn't fix the problem.

One user disabled all advanced CPU performance options in BIOS setup on the XPS 8900 (and disabled sleep/hibernation in Win 7) and it hasn't crashed in several days. So that seems to be a work-around for now. Not clear -to me- if it's a performance setting or sleep/hibernation causing the problem because that user hasn't re-enabled sleep/hibernation while leaving the performance settings off in BIOS...

I pinged my Dell tech contacts again this morning to see if they've made any progress identifying the cause and whether this is a CPU, BIOS, or possibly a Windows issue...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Performance Setttings in BIOS

-Disable C state, speedstep, turboboost

-apply, save, exit

Disable sleep from control panel, power options

Here's my thread with the same problems

I don't believe it is was a windows issue because the problems were consistent with windows 7 or windows 10 on a HDD or SSD, factory 8gb ram or aftermarket 16gb ram, usb mouse/keyboard, or logitech wireless mouse/keyboard

en.community.dell.com/.../19665996

0 Kudos
chrmn2k
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This is the 2nd brand new Dell XPS 8900 with the same problem. Even though the Dell Community Member gave a great fix for the A7 Me Spli error, and it worked, the machine runs poorly: slow, freezes, requires Refreshing often. When I call the Task Manager, it says: IE, which froze or nothing in the Manager in email or Facebook. Everyone is telling me to give up on the Dell and go to HP. Really? Is that the only option? Thanks!

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Did you disable C states in BIOS setup as was already posted in this thread?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos