Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2016 08:00

Dell XPS 8900 System Desktop Computer "freezes and hangups".

I purchased a Dell XPS 8900 Desktop recently with Windows 7 Professional OP System pre loaded. The first thing I did was to make a list of the list of all system components, the date and version of each. Next I went to Dell's Web Site, enter the computer tag number, and created a list of all Dell updates for this computer. Then I downloaded and installed all component updates except the BIOS update which was the same version however there was no date listed for it.

I have experienced hang ups and freezes from the beginning of using this computer and I continue to have the same freezes and hang ups.
With the number of complaints of the same problem regardless of operating system you would think Dell Management and sales would recognize that there is a legitimate problem with this computer and assign their engineers to research the problem and issue either a recall or a fix to XPS 8900 users. I am a long time computer professional with over 45 years in the IT community. I have always trusted Dell and recommended their products to family and friends as well as contacts in the IT community and prospective buyers. Dell can either acknowledge the problem with this product and take appropriate corrective action or they can ignore the problem which will not go away but the buyers of Dell products will when the word gets out. I no longer feel comfortable buying or recommending Dell computers to or for anyone.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2016 05:00

I was getting massive freezing problems myself till I disabled c-states in the bios and sleep. Anyway I recently downloaded a 2.1.0 and 2.1.3 bios updates from their support page after having it detected my system.  So far it hasn't frozen once yet

13 Posts

March 25th, 2016 16:00

GOOD LUCK.  I'M ON MY SECOND BRAND NEW ONE WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS YOU ARE HAVING.  I'VE BEEN WITH DELL FOR 20 + YRS.  I REALLY DON'T THINK THERE ARE THE SAME THAT THEY USED TO BE.  IN ALL HONESTY I TRULY BELEIVE IT'S A SOFTWARE PROBLEM.  IF YOU WAIT A DAY OR TWO DON'T BE SURPRISED IF YOUR PROBLEMS RESOLVE THEMSELVES.  THAT BEING SAID,  I HAVE THE NVIDIA GE FORCE GTX 745 VIDEO CARD.  NVIDIA COMES OUT WITH A NEW GRAPHICS DRIVER EVERY WEEK, WHY, YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE.  THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS FOR ME IS UNPLUGGING THE ETHERNET CABLE AND GOING WIRELESS.  THIS SEEMS TO STOP THE PROBLEM.  I'M TIRED OF WORKING ON THIS THING ON A DAILY BASIS.  INTEGRATED EVERYTHING MAY BE CHEAP FOR THEM, BUT IT'S A NIGHTMARE FOR USERS.  BY THE WAY, I'M AN IT TECH, SO THIS IS NOT MY FIRST RODEO.  BETWEEN WIN 10 AND THIS CONFIGURATION, YOU HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL.  GEE I MISS MY OLD XPS !!!

did you read my post how to fix the issue?

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 13th, 2016 08:00

Just return it. Problem solved.

5.2K Posts

January 13th, 2016 14:00

Updating device drivers is usually a waste of time.

Hang-ups and freezes are many times due to programs that hog the CPU. Follow operations in the Task Manager to see what's using CPU and RAM resources when the hang-ups occur. The CPU usages can be sorted so that most usage is on top.

January 13th, 2016 17:00

I'm an IT person as well.  I'm seriously thinking of shifting my loyalty to another brand like HP.  This is outrageous that they are basically ignoring the issue, ignoring my emails and basically saying 'oh well' in the phone calls. 

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 13th, 2016 18:00

I'm an IT person as well.  I'm seriously thinking of shifting my loyalty to another brand like HP.  This is outrageous that they are basically ignoring the issue, ignoring my emails and basically saying 'oh well' in the phone calls. 

Go over to the HP forums if you think that it is any better over there.  Lenovo also has their forums. Then tell me it is all roses over "there".

7 Posts

January 14th, 2016 10:00

The Skylake CPU has a bug that can cause your PC to freeze.

arstechnica.com/.../intel-skylake-bug-causes-pcs-to-freeze-during-complex-workloads

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 14th, 2016 11:00

The Skylake CPU has a bug that can cause your PC to freeze.

arstechnica.com/.../intel-skylake-bug-causes-pcs-to-freeze-during-complex-workloads

A work-around reported for that specific Skylake issue is to disable Hyper-threading in BIOS setup. A number of users tried that on the XPS 8900 but it didn't fix the problem.

One user disabled all advanced CPU performance options in BIOS setup on the XPS 8900 (and disabled sleep/hibernation in Win 7) and it hasn't crashed in several days. So that seems to be a work-around for now. Not clear -to me- if it's a performance setting or sleep/hibernation causing the problem because that user hasn't re-enabled sleep/hibernation while leaving the performance settings off in BIOS...

I pinged my Dell tech contacts again this morning to see if they've made any progress identifying the cause and whether this is a CPU, BIOS, or possibly a Windows issue...

13 Posts

January 14th, 2016 14:00

Performance Setttings in BIOS

-Disable C state, speedstep, turboboost

-apply, save, exit

Disable sleep from control panel, power options

Here's my thread with the same problems

I don't believe it is was a windows issue because the problems were consistent with windows 7 or windows 10 on a HDD or SSD, factory 8gb ram or aftermarket 16gb ram, usb mouse/keyboard, or logitech wireless mouse/keyboard

en.community.dell.com/.../19665996

3 Posts

February 7th, 2016 17:00

This is the 2nd brand new Dell XPS 8900 with the same problem. Even though the Dell Community Member gave a great fix for the A7 Me Spli error, and it worked, the machine runs poorly: slow, freezes, requires Refreshing often. When I call the Task Manager, it says: IE, which froze or nothing in the Manager in email or Facebook. Everyone is telling me to give up on the Dell and go to HP. Really? Is that the only option? Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 7th, 2016 18:00

Did you disable C states in BIOS setup as was already posted in this thread?

13 Posts

February 8th, 2016 21:00

you should be able to leave sleep on, but just make sure c-state stays disabled

3 Posts

February 9th, 2016 15:00

Return it fine. then what? I haven't found a comparable system to the XPS 8900 from Dell. any ideas that you would like to share?

March 25th, 2016 09:00

GOOD LUCK.  I'M ON MY SECOND BRAND NEW ONE WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS YOU ARE HAVING.  I'VE BEEN WITH DELL FOR 20 + YRS.  I REALLY DON'T THINK THERE ARE THE SAME THAT THEY USED TO BE.  IN ALL HONESTY I TRULY BELEIVE IT'S A SOFTWARE PROBLEM.  IF YOU WAIT A DAY OR TWO DON'T BE SURPRISED IF YOUR PROBLEMS RESOLVE THEMSELVES.  THAT BEING SAID,  I HAVE THE NVIDIA GE FORCE GTX 745 VIDEO CARD.  NVIDIA COMES OUT WITH A NEW GRAPHICS DRIVER EVERY WEEK, WHY, YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE.  THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS FOR ME IS UNPLUGGING THE ETHERNET CABLE AND GOING WIRELESS.  THIS SEEMS TO STOP THE PROBLEM.  I'M TIRED OF WORKING ON THIS THING ON A DAILY BASIS.  INTEGRATED EVERYTHING MAY BE CHEAP FOR THEM, BUT IT'S A NIGHTMARE FOR USERS.  BY THE WAY, I'M AN IT TECH, SO THIS IS NOT MY FIRST RODEO.  BETWEEN WIN 10 AND THIS CONFIGURATION, YOU HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL.  GEE I MISS MY OLD XPS !!!

March 30th, 2016 22:00

I have two Windows 7 Pro XPS 8900 with built-from-scratch installs; on these I installed all the Dell model-specific Drivers with the exception of: "Dell Foundation Services", Dell Digital Delivery, Intel Management (stuff; not really used..), the Wireless/Bluetooth drivers AND have not yet installed the latest BIOS (2.1.3).

Video driver = Yes
Network driver = Yes
Intel USB3.0 xHCI driver = Yes
Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver - Yes

I can add to this Post at a later time the number of Processes running and some idea of the Performance parameters as shown within Task Manager.

Elsewhere online: I have seen some discussion of DEFINITELY replacing the SATA cables with verified excellent quality cables, and I would like to see if that one thing alone makes a difference.

No Events found!