Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2017 16:00

Dell XPS 8910 Special Edition:BIOS/UEFI Setup Needed to Install Second Hard Drive?

Greetings!

I am planning in the near future to buy a Dell XPS 8910 Special Edition.  I hope shortly after purchase to install a Western Digital Black Series 2-TB hard drive.  This new drive would be used as a storage drive for extra data.  It would NOT replace the original 2-TB drive installed in the system.

From checking the service manual online, I understand how to physically mount the drive, connect the nearby power cable then use my own SATA cable to connect the drive to the motherboard.  I also understand how to use Device Manager in Windows 10 to add/format the new drive.

From other posts I've read here, I must ask: Will I need to enter the setup mode(BIOS/UEFI) at the start of bootup to set the SATA port to detect the new drive, or will the SATA ports automatically detect the new drive without requiring my going into setup mode? 

Thanks in advance to any who can answer my question.  I'm looking forward to getting my new system soon!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 31st, 2017 10:00

The screens for the current version of BIOS on the XPS 8910 are here.

I don't see any obvious option where you'd have to turn on the SATA port for a new SATA drive. (Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.)

Connect the drive to the port and reboot. See if the new drive is recognized in Win 10 Computer Management. If it's there, you'll have to format it and assign a drive letter.

If it's not seen in Computer Management, then you can look in BIOS to see if the option to enable a new SATA port is now available.

140 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 11:00

I've already been swapping drives in and out of my new 8910 and haven't needed to touch the bios once.   They are just there when you turn it on.  The only reason I can see to go into the bios is if you want to change your boot drive.  Be sure and get a 90 degree SATA cable for the drive end - you will need it with the way the case is configured.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2017 21:00

I would also look into getting a M.2 NMVe SSD for your OS. I will tremendously speed up your overall system. Win10/UEFU should have no problems detecting a properly functional drive.

3 Posts

January 31st, 2017 03:00

Thank you for responding.  I'll consider a solid state drive in the future, but to be more direct: Will I need to enter the setup menu to configure the SATA ports, or will the motherboard automatically detect the new drive so that I can format and map it in Windows?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 12:00

Be sure and get a 90 degree SATA cable for the drive end - you will need it with the way the case is configured.

Thanks, that's good information to know!

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 15:00

Thank you, Koeven, for confirming that I don't need to go into the BIOS.  I have SATA cables with a 90-degree plug at the ready.  Thanks again!

No Events found!