Highlighted
Fortunateson
1 Copper

Dell XPS Dimention GEN 2 Question

Hello all.  I have had my Gen 2 since May 2003 and it is...well...lets just say that working on it is like working with a 95 year old man.  I want to do some work on it, namely installing windows 7.  That overriding thought meant in order to install it, I would need a 64 bit processor, meaning i would need a new mobo, new ram, new power supply...and what the heck a new cpu cooler and graphics card.  However, when pulling apart my computer, I noticed something odd.  I couldn't find my power supply (at least what I thought a power supply was.  Big black box.)  It was then I noticed the darn thing is integrated into the computers case.  The power requirements aren't sufficient for my new stuff...So I'm wondering, is there anything that can be done for this?  Jury rigging...throwing the new supply in the case willy-nilly...Please help-I'm desparate.  This Radeon 9800 is so old...It longs to be put out of its misery...

PS: As far as I'm concerned, getting a new case is...kind of out of the question.  I love this case.  So big and blocky...

List of what I'd like to install:

-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

-ASUS M4A78T-E ATX AMD Motherboard

-Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory

-XFX Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) HD-587A-ZNF9 Video Card

-Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme 120mm Magnetic Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

(power supply will be chosen later.)

0 Kudos