Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 27th, 2013 11:00

Dell XPS One 27 Touch stuck at the Intel Raid Configuration ROM

So I have a few Dell XPS One 27 Touch AIO Workstations that we bought for a project that we are running and we decided to use them as kiosk machines. To facilitate this we decided in our deployment to use Windows 8 Embedded. While trying to set up the system on a target machine to build a base image, a few minutes into the install we found out that the Windows 8 Embedded Standard couldn't see the AIO machines hard drive. We decided to use the Intel Raid tool on boot to disable the mSATA drive as the accelerator on the machine in hopes that this would enable the Windows 8 Embedded to see the hard drive. As a part of this we also enabled the legacy boot instead of UEFI. After this was done, another attempt of installing the Embedded OS was made and it still saw no hdds (so we now decided to go grab the drivers from the dell site for the intel controller). While waiting for the download to finish we restarted the machine to return the bios back to UEFI but were left only to find that the machine no longer want's to enter bios and just endlessly hangs at Press Ctrl-I to enter Configuration Utility... Sometimes it completely hangs on this with a blinking underscore underneath this message, and sometimes it goes into the Intel COnfiguration Utility and allows us to make changes, but we still can't get back into BIOS or do anything.

Any kind of help would be very useful. Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 28th, 2013 16:00

Glad they're going to replace the motherboard.

If you've got nothing better to do and interested, reset BIOS by pulling the motherboard battery and pressing/holding the power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling it. (Always power off, unplug, and press/hold the power button for ~15 sec before working inside the case.)

See if there's any help with your reinstall questions in this thread or here. You will want to install the OS on the hard drive not on the SSD so be sure to choose the right drive options when you run the install.

Good luck!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

You may need to reset BIOS to factory default settings to clear the problems. See page 164 in the manual.

5 Posts

Thanks for answering so quick Ron. Do you know if there is a way to force a bios reset without opening the machine? It's currently not in the environment where removing parts of it would be safe. If not I will just have to move it somewhere else.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 27th, 2013 14:00

It's either using the jumper or pulling the motherboard battery, both of which require you to open the case...

5 Posts

August 28th, 2013 03:00

Ok so did reset the bios using the jumper, now it just hangs on the Dell logo on boot, doesn't trigger the keyboard at all nor does it make any sound.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 28th, 2013 13:00

How are you trying to boot, from the Win8 installation disk or from the hard drive?

• What version of BIOS?
  • If you reboot and press F2, can you open BIOS setup?
    • How is Boot Mode set?
    • Is Secure Boot On or OFF?
    • What is the boot order?

5 Posts

August 28th, 2013 13:00

I don't have an option to chose to boot from anything (I would be booting from a UEFI ready Windows 8 Embedded USB installer).
The BIOS version is A09 (apparently the latest is the A11)
I'm unable to open the BIOS setup, the machine just hangs with the DELL logo on boot, keyboard doesn't respond at all (the num lock doesn't fire up at all)
Hitting F2 or F12 does nothing.
Latest settings I know I applied before the BIOS Reset were Legacy Bios, Secure Boot Off (but was disabled by legacy boot anyways).

Regardless, we had a chat with the Dell Phone support, and they are sending an engineer to replace the mobo tomorrow (they seem to think the machine is completely bricked).

On a side note, after this process is done, I would like to restore the original hdd setup (so the mSATA ssd as the cache drive for the hdd), and was wondering if there were instructions on how to accomplish this? (as mentioned in my previous post, I have revered both disks as Non-Raid as apart of a process to install Windows 8 Embedded but have since found a way to actually install the Embedded image on the original drive setup, and would now need to have the same data storage structure on the machine after the mobo is replaced)

5 Posts

August 28th, 2013 16:00

I don't have an option to chose to boot from anything (I would be booting from a UEFI ready Windows 8 Embedded USB installer).
The BIOS version is A09 (apparently the latest is the A11)
I'm unable to open the BIOS setup, the machine just hangs with the DELL logo on boot, keyboard doesn't respond at all (the num lock doesn't fire up at all)
Hitting F2 or F12 does nothing.
Latest settings I know I applied before the BIOS Reset were Legacy Bios, Secure Boot Off (but was disabled by legacy boot anyways).

Regardless, we had a chat with the Dell Phone support, and they are sending an engineer to replace the mobo tomorrow (they seem to think the machine is completely bricked).

On a side note, after this process is done, I would like to restore the original hdd setup (so the mSATA ssd as the cache drive for the hdd), and was wondering if there were instructions on how to accomplish this? (as mentioned in my previous post, I have revered both disks as Non-Raid as apart of a process to install Windows 8 Embedded but have since found a way to actually install the Embedded image on the original drive setup, and would now need to have the same data storage structure on the machine after the mobo is replaced)

No Events found!