Philip_Yip
6 Indium

RE: Dell XPS One 2710 Fresh Install

Jump to solution

Great! Thanks for letting us know. Smiley Happy

It seems that Microsoft are going to extend the Free Upgrade to Windows 10 so if you feel like risking it see here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

It might run more stably on RS1. However the causes of the common Windows 10 - Black Screen are most likely due to the fact that the system is missing a UEFI BIOS Update that'll unfortunately probably never be released.

Most PCs are becoming Touch these days... You can easily disable a Touchscreen functionality via the Device Manager.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
DanfZX14
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

My 2710 is the non-touch screen version. It was purchased in  March 2013. Would this make it more suitable to running Windows 10? Meaning would windows 10 would run properly?

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I think the issue people are having is more due to the UEFI BIOS then the actual touchscreen but its been hard to trace down completely...

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
DanfZX14
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Why won't Dell just provide an updated BIOS then?

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Dell had to make decisions on which systems to support for Win 10 and which not to support. The XPS 2710 was probably deemed too old for further updates.

And it may be more than just BIOS issues. If I remember correctly, Dell installed a total of 6 different motherboards in the XPS 2710, depending on which version of Windows the system was to be shipped with and whether the system had a hard-wired add-in video card on the motherboard or only had Intel Graphics on the CPU.

Complicated, to say the least...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

RoHe is correct (as usual!). Engineering set the list of which systems we would support with Windows 10. You can see under XPS Desktop that the XPS 2710 was not approved.

Computers tested for upgrade to Windows 10

0 Kudos