Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 19th, 2012 20:00

Dell XPS One27 -- Media Center Problems

Hello,

I am having several issues with my brand new XPS One27 and Windows Media Center.

The optimum resolution for the One27 is 2560x1440, which is drop dead gorgeous, however whenever I start Media Center, I get a nag message that my desktop is running at a very high resolution. Apparently, the highest resolution supported by Media Center is 2048x1152. How do I disable this message without changing my desktop resolution to 2048x1152?

Also, I had some problems installing NetFlix and Internet TV in Media Center. The files download and attempt to install, but immediately crash on launch. I have the latest Silverlight installed, and Netflix runs okay in IE. The problem is specific to Media Center. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling these apps, but I get the same result.

Thanks,

DiAngelo

40 Posts

July 20th, 2012 19:00

Thanks, but I fixed it by reinstalling Windows 7.

803 Posts

July 19th, 2012 21:00

Hi DiAngelo,

Welcome to the Community.

This message is controlled by the following entry in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Display Settings

REG_SZ Value: DisableHighCheck

Data: 1024x768

After you increase the screen resolution and you restart the Media Center program, this registry entry is modified, and the message does not appear again.

This message appears by design. Without this message, you might experience poor performance when the screen resolution is set very high and you might not know the reason. For more info: support.microsoft.com/.../830163

Please make a back up of the registry before making any changes.

Try this direct link for the Netflix software add-on for Media Center:

download.microsoft.com/.../NetflixInWindowsMediaCenter.exe

Kindly reply with the results.

40 Posts

Unfortunately, neither of these suggestions work.

Media Center does not support the XPS One27's native resolution of 2560x1440. The only way to make the nag message go away is to reduce my desktop resolution to 2048x1152 -- the highest resolution recognized by Media Center.

The Netflix files download, but the installation hangs at 55% with the dreaded "Unable to install Netflix." message.

803 Posts

Hi DiAngelo,

Thank you for the reply.

Try to disable the windows firewall and  try the Netflix download again.

I have researched on other forums and found threads with similar issue where Netflix installation hangs at 55%. This seems to be a known issue. However updating the mcupdate.exe have seemed to fix. Check this link for more info:

answers.microsoft.com/.../02bb73b0-1764-4716-aae5-2b6173ec5952

About the Media Center resolution issue, if that is the limitation Im afraid there is nothing much we can do.

40 Posts

July 19th, 2012 22:00

Thanks, but still no luck with watching Netflix in Media Center. The darn thing simply will not install. I guess I will have to watch it through IE, and wait for a fix in Windows 8.

803 Posts

July 20th, 2012 15:00

Hi DiAngelo,

I will escalate this issue to my L3 and see if this can be permanently fixed or at least look for a work around. I will keep you informed as and when I get any update. I am sure other users who are facing this issue are also looking for a fix.

Thank you for working along with me to fix this issue.

5 Posts

July 20th, 2012 21:00

Hi DiAngleo,

I’m getting the same nag message.  I think the key is in CyberLink’s PowerDVD.  Try playing a DVD/BD directly in PowerDVD.  And when a message pops up asking if you want to re-set the resolution - and if you  want to see the message again.  Check the No box for seeing the message, and click No for resetting the screen resolution.

*** I’m new to register hacks, so try at your own risk***

If you think you really need to get into the register, look into this:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER_Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD9

UI_FullScreenResolutionNoAsk

UI_FullScreenResolutionDefaultChange

mls26

No Events found!