Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2013 04:00

Dell XPS one 2720 SSD

Would it be possible to replace the optical drive with an SSD and would the performance of this SSD be optimal?

Would it be possible to replace the HDD by for example 512 GB SSD?

My motherlanguage is dutch, sorry for my short quenstions.

1.5K Posts

August 16th, 2013 08:00

Hi BJ_Moose,

Welcome to the community.

You can install a larger MSATA drive and also install windows on the MSATA drive as well. You can install the windows on the MSATA and use the same product key if system was shipped with Windows 8 Pro.

You can use the product key of the system only if you install the same windows on the system it was shipped with.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2013 05:00

i now have a 2TB with 32 GB SSD, i would like to run windows fully on ssd. Is there any option to keep the existing hardware and add an extra ssd,with other words, are there sata slots free on the motherboard or can i repace the optical drive with an extra ssd?

1.5K Posts

August 3rd, 2013 05:00

Hi spaminbox,

Welcome to the community.

Please let me know why you are looking forward to replace the optical drive or hard-drive with the SSD. As this system comes with an option to have SSD slot for installation.

You can install from 32 Gb to 256 Gb SSD hard-drive on the system. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

1.5K Posts

August 3rd, 2013 06:00

Hi spaminbox,

You would not be able to install SSD on optical drive or any other slot as connectors for MSATA would be different. However, you can either upgrade the SSD or re install windows on current MSATA drive.

Please check this link below which helps you in re-installing windows on the MSATA harddrive:

http://dell.to/15Cz2AS

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.

6 Posts

August 4th, 2013 01:00

The connector on the optical drive. What type is it? Not an ordanary sata connector i suppose? I could use an msata to sata connector to replace THE optical drive by an ssd? Grtz

1.5K Posts

August 6th, 2013 09:00

Hi spaminbox,

Connectors of optical drive and MSATA drive are different. Please check the image of both the drives:

Optical Drive

MSATA drive

You can try and find a converter externally to check if it works fine for the system. However, we neither support or recommend the same and any damage caused to the system would not be covered by warranty.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

1 Message

August 15th, 2013 14:00

Hi Sandeep P,

If I understand this correctly, I can install a larger mSata drive and re-install Windows 8 on the new drive using the my own copy of Windows 8 Pro.  Can I use the same key that comes with my 2720 or do I need to purchase a second key?  Thank you, BJMoose

No Events found!