kelvace
1 Copper

Dell XPS with RAID0 - broken - advice needed

Jump to solution

Hi

I have a dell XPS 420 <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> Unfortunately one of the drives in the RAID0 array has just failed (in reality, it hasn't been right since I got the PC). I am going to have to get a replacement HDD. Rather than replacing and setting up RAID0 again, I'm just going to install a new 1TB HDD.

I have a number of questions that the hopefully somebody will be able to answer:

1. I don't have the recovery DVD with the OS (Windows Vista). Is there any way I can download or otherwise acquire a replacement?

2. Are there any restrictions on what replacement HDD I can install? I was thinking about the following:http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=hitachi+hdd&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&...

Is there any reason to think that this won't work in my system?

3. Although the RAID0 has broken, I beleive that there is a possibility that there could still be data on there (Window loads, but then shuts itself). Is there any way that I can keep the RAID0 array, install the new HDD, install the OS to this new HDD and then access the drives in the RAID0 array? If I can't, it doesn't matter because all of my important files are backed up remotely.

4. Or, do people think it is just best to remove the old HDDs making up the RAID0 array, then installing the new single HDD and just start again from there?

I'm not looking for detailed instructions at this stage, just a bit of guidance on the right direction to go in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards

Kelvin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Plutonium

Re: Dell XPS with RAID0 - broken - advice needed

Jump to solution

kelvace

The HGST Deskstar 7K1000.C 1 TB Internal hard drive Serial ATA-300 hard drive, will work fine in the XPS420.

As it sounds like you reside in the UK, if you are the registered owner of the computer, you should be able to obtain a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, by contacting Dell's UK customer service:                                     

Phone Customer Service Queries  0844 444 4712 
Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM

Note: Dell may charge for the disc.

Also, you could borrow the disc from a friend, or browse eBay for one.  Note: It must be the same version that was factory installed.

Regards to RAID 0, this does not provide any redundancy.  

When a hard drive fails, then the data is unrecoverable, because it's striped across the two drives.

When you have RAID-0, it always imperative to keep your data backups current.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

4 Replies
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

kelvace

The HGST Deskstar 7K1000.C 1 TB Internal hard drive Serial ATA-300 hard drive, will work fine in the XPS420.

As it sounds like you reside in the UK, if you are the registered owner of the computer, you should be able to obtain a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, by contacting Dell's UK customer service:                                     

Phone Customer Service Queries  0844 444 4712 
Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM

Note: Dell may charge for the disc.

Also, you could borrow the disc from a friend, or browse eBay for one.  Note: It must be the same version that was factory installed.

Regards to RAID 0, this does not provide any redundancy.  

When a hard drive fails, then the data is unrecoverable, because it's striped across the two drives.

When you have RAID-0, it always imperative to keep your data backups current.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

kelvace
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick response. Seems like the best option is to start from scratch. Agree with your point on keeping backups with RAID0; not sure if it's just my experience, but RAID0 in my XPS420 has always been worrying as it always seems a little unstable.

I am thinking of actually buying 2 HDDs and setting up RAID1 just to reduce the chances of having to do a full re-install in the future. The Dell online manual covers this quite well.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

kelvace

Happy to have helped.

I stopped using RAID several years ago, because a RAID-0 failure can really ruin your day and with RAID-1, the problem I've found. is that whenever there is any software corruption, or a virus/malware problem, it's mrrored to the second hard drive of the array.

Went to using two hard drives and an imaging utility, like Acronis, to image the C:/ drive to the secondary D:/ hard drive daily
Now, whenever there's a issue, all I need to do, is to open the case and swap the data cables, to make the exsisting D:/ hard drive, the boot hard drive C:/, followed by booting the system and image the new C:/  to the corrupted secondary hard drive, to creat a corrupt free image again.  

I also, use USB thumb drives for small backups

Bev. 

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.    

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

0 Kudos