Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2017 22:00

Dell XPS27 7760 (2017) Disk Drive 7, 9, or 15 mm?

Just ordered my new XPS27 with only an SSD but want to buy 2 HDD's for when it arrives.  It is supposed to have a dual 2.5 disk cage according to the hardware repair manual, but I can't find out the depth of the disks anywhere.  Can anyone tell me if they are 7mm, 9mm, or 15mm (I hope - I'd like to put the new 4 tb barracuda 15mm in those slots)?

If anyone has upgraded their disk or memory on this beast, I'd appreciate any tips or gotchas you found. It looks easy enough in the manual....

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 26th, 2017 06:00

From the options Dell offers, it looks like 9 mm drives, max.

6 Posts

May 26th, 2017 08:00

thanks.  I checked the two (a 1tb and a 2tb) Dell had for sale but couldn't find the mm there, either.  well, at least 9mm gives me a bit of a wider choice.  maybe i'll have to put in less than I really want for now and upgrade later.  Even the 15mm is only 5400 and i'd prefer 7200, obviously.  Oh, well.  if this one lasts me as long as my current xps27 (4 years), i'll have plenty of time to upgrade.  I maxed out this one when I bought it, so haven't been able to do much internally since then.  :-)

6 Posts

May 31st, 2017 22:00

hey!  the xps27 7760 arrived faster than expected and I hadn't even ordered my drives, yet, so I measured the cage openings and it sure looks like at least the upper is 17mm or so.  the lower is a very close shave for 13.9 or 14.  I'm thinking of going ahead and trying the 4tb baracuda's at 14mm to see if it fits.  Only prob is that I want that as the secondary and just 2tb for the primary, which apparently is always the upper drive.  Will let you know how things go.

ps.  the display on this computer is incredible to behold!  i had to turn the brightness down to 50% cause it was too brilliant for my tastes!  I've got to try to find an adaptive brightness driver.

7 Posts

October 26th, 2017 01:00

Hey Guygalt,

did you try the 15mm Barracuda Drives by now? I am highly interested of the maximum capabilities of the hard drive cage.

Thank you

6 Posts

October 27th, 2017 07:00

i decided i didn't even need the 4tb and went with 2 x 2tb.  there is plenty of room for a 4tb 14mm as the "secondary drive" in the 2.5" laptop drive cage this uses, with room for a 9mm "primary".  My guess is that as long as you're using an SSD as your primary for booting, the "primary" or "secondary" doesn't mean anything except the address for these disks.  At worst case, you might have to buy a cheap hdd to fill the primary cage.  Sorry for the slow reply, I was out of town.  I'm still loving this machine!  Of course, I loved my last XPS 27 for 4 years.  One of the big differences is having two drive bays.  the speed difference when copying between two spindles is incredible compared to just the one drive, so arrange your data accordingly.

7 Posts

October 27th, 2017 13:00

Thanks for your reply. I think I will go for the 5TB Seagate (15mm) then because I had a 5TB in my old XPS 27 as well. As a second drive (or primary in this case) 2TB will be max I think. Which one do you use? Seagate as well?

Thanks

No Events found!