8 Krypton

RE: Dell XPS8920 waking at ~3:30am

What about Windows update? You might want to set that to PAUSE (delays installing updates for 7 days) to see if that's what's doing this.  And maybe also change Windows update's "active hours" .

What about Dell Update, McAfee or Norton, Adobe (Reader), looking for updates?

Long shot: Your power company is blinking the power at around that time which might cause your PC to wake up long enough to see what it's supposed to do when recovering from a "power failure".  Make sure that option is set to "Do nothing" in BIOS setup.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Thanx, but Windows update is set for 9am-5pm.  All the others are disabled according to Task Scheduler.  BIOS is set for do nothing.   Even today, there was no LED on the power switch, but sometime during the day I saw that it was doing the slow flash indicating it woke from hibernate for some reason.  Hmmm.  I turned off the Update Internet (Advanced tab) share today.  Maybe that?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Is the button flashing a blink (error) pattern like 2 blinks-short pause-3 blinks, or just continuous blinking?

Is hibernate set to never in your current power plan?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Just the sleep pattern.  No error patterns.

Yes the PP is set to never.  That is where I started.  But as many know, the PP has very limited authority.  Someone like me, doesn't understand why MS provides options for sleep, etc. but does not give it authority to really carry it out.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Don't know what else to suggest, aside from powering the monitor off so it won't wake you if the PC decides to wake itself up...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

OK, thanx.  The monitor powering on is a nuisance, but I am more worried that maybe more nefarious things could happen while the computer is awake & unattended.  I own 2 other W10 machines (Dell & ASUS) & they do not act this way.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Do you really need to have the PC on 24/7?

You could connect PC and monitor to a power strip or surge protector. After powering PC off normally through Windows, turn the strip/surge off at its own switch.

With BIOS set to "Reboot" when recovering from a power failure, turning the strip/surge on will automatically boot the PC and power up the monitor at the same time without having to touch either device directly.  

That's what I do, and I also have speakers and printer connected to same surge protector. So one switch turns everything on at once.  Just have to be sure the strip/surge can handle the load of all the connected devices...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I do not.

It is just the way I run my computers.  I just let them go to sleep & awake them as required.  And a few times a month, I shut them down just to reboot the OS.  The process you describe is an alternative I will consider.  However, it does not explain the difference about how this Dell works so much differently than many Windows computers that I have used since XP, 7, 8 & now 10.  

I shouldn't have to change my MO just because I bought a Dell.

0 Kudos
4 Beryllium

I use sleep exclusively, have disabled hibernate and rarely power down the system completely unless I plan to be away for multiple days.

System wake up from sleep is a couple of seconds vs about 30+ seconds for a cold start and OS boot, even with a SATA III SSD.  Dell BIOS is very slow to get through POST and windoze is slow .

I have the systems set to wake on a keyboard or mouse event, or a wake-on-lan event and to sleep on a hot-key and an application shortcut.

For me this is faster and more convenient compared to waiting for a system to boot up.

That said, the only systems I have occasionally waking up are Win10 systems. I've chased down most of the reasons and for me so far it has always been a program setting or Windoze itself.

0 Kudos