Durrthock
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Xps 630 Motherboard.

Does this mean that the 9800 gx2 splits the 8x slots into two x4 slots, or do they both run at x8?
0 Kudos

hey would both run at x8.
0 Kudos
ElkWapiti
2 Iron

@TDOGS630I wrote:

Rambler, how did you cut the logo in your case?  Did you have it done professionally or do it yourself?

Looks great!

+1

Gorgeous

0 Kudos
kevink37
2 Iron

Wish I had another video card to try out with CPU-Z but I don't.  Oh well.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rambler358
3 Silver

@TDOGS630I wrote:

Rambler, how did you cut the logo in your case?  Did you have it done professionally or do it yourself?

Looks great!

Thanks - I created the design, and had a local machine shop cut it for me.

Message Edited by Rambler358 on 08-02-2008 07:25 PM
0 Kudos
chembane
1 Nickel

"QUOTE"  DELL-Chris_M

MaverickmanTP,

I know that there are valid complaints of false advertising by Dell regarding the specifications of this motherboard.
* I disagree. The sales page was very clear in stating you would get two PCI Express x16 Expansion slots. It never stated how many PCI Express lanes were connected in those slots. That data is presented in teh User Manual specifications.

*    C'mon Chris trhats the same as a used car salesman telling you he is selling you a car with a V-8 and you buy it then find out it is really only firing on 6 cylinders because he took the sparkplugs out of 2 cylinders.

How is the consumer supposed to see the user manual untill they buy the computer?

You admit that the sales page did not state how many lanes were connected to the slots; yet anyone who would see that advertisement would be falsely led to believe that they were getting X16 lanes because its a PCI Express x16 Expansion slot ! ! ! ! !  That is what the x16 means in technical terms ! ! ! !  

0 Kudos
foehammer25
2 Iron

The Dell advertisement was very clear that you would get a keyboard.  It never said there would be keys attached to it.

The Dell advertisement was very clear that you would get a cpu.  It never said there would be a heatsink/fan attached to it.

The Dell advertisement was very clear you would get LightFX2.  It never said...uh...umm...ya I guess it did.

0 Kudos
contrvlr
4 Germanium

@chembane wrote:

"QUOTE"  DELL-Chris_M
* I disagree. The sales page was very clear in stating you would get two PCI Express x16 Expansion slots. It never stated how many PCI Express lanes were connected in those slots. That data is presented in teh User Manual specifications.

*    C'mon Chris trhats the same as a used car salesman telling you he is selling you a car with a V-8 and you buy it then find out it is really only firing on 6 cylinders because he took the sparkplugs out of 2 cylinders.

How is the consumer supposed to see the user manual untill they buy the computer?

You admit that the sales page did not state how many lanes were connected to the slots; yet anyone who would see that advertisement would be falsely led to believe that they were getting X16 lanes because its a PCI Express x16 Expansion slot ! ! ! ! !  That is what the x16 means in technical terms ! ! ! !  

No it doesn't, while I agree that a "used card salesman" pitch was used , your interpretation of what X16 means in "technical terms"  is not correct. 

"PCIe slots come in a variety of physically different sizes referred to by the maximum lane count they support, ie. x1, x2, x4, x8, x16 and x32."

"The number of lanes actually connected to a slot may also be less than the number supported by the physical slot size."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

GTX 260 C216 @ 711/1533/1151

Antec TPN 750w

0 Kudos
foehammer25
2 Iron

""PCIe slots come in a variety of physically different sizes referred to by the maximum lane count they support, ie. x1, x2, x4, x8, x16 and x32."

"The number of lanes actually connected to a slot may also be less than the number supported by the physical slot size.""

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the number of lanes is less than the physical configuration there is a reason behind it.  That is not a normal configuration whether or not it is possible.  So what was Dell's reason to gimp the physically sized x16 slots with only a lane count of x8 per slot?  Why was it not stated in Dells advertisement that the motherboard would be different then what is reasonably expected from x16 slots?  Especially when the large majority of other 650i motherboards support full x16 lanes in their physically x16 slots.

It is like a 22" monitor having only a 18" viewable screen and the advertisement not mentioning that fact.  Doesn't matter that it is in the manual because nearly no one reads the manual before purchasing equipment.  Does anyone doubt that Dell knew that people tend to not read the manual before buying computer equipment?  Stick the fine details in the manual where almost no one will see them.  THAT is what Dell did.  Who here knew ahead of time that this information about the x16 slots would only be in the manual?

I am willing to bet you didn't even know that Chris.  Until they let you in on it, of course.

By the way contrvlr, EVERYTHING that Chembane said is true except for the very last sentence.  Why are you picking his post apart?  The meaning behind his message is clear.  If a mobo has 2 x16 slots, it is not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that they both have x16 lanes.  Especially when the advertisement doesn't state the true technical specification under its Technical Specifications tab.

Message Edited by foehammer25 on 08-03-2008 08:00 PM
Message Edited by foehammer25 on 08-03-2008 08:00 PM
0 Kudos
Rambler358
3 Silver

@foehammer25 wrote:

So what was Dell's reason to gimp the physically sized x16 slots with only a lane count of x8 per slot?

My theory is ATI Crossfire support, which Dell advertises along with nVidia SLI support.

0 Kudos