Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2008 18:00

Dell Xps 630 Motherboard.

Is it true that the Dell Xps 630 motherboard is restricted to olny 8x on the PCIe slots?

1.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2008 11:00

@chembane wrote:

"QUOTE"  DELL-Chris_M
* I disagree. The sales page was very clear in stating you would get two PCI Express x16 Expansion slots. It never stated how many PCI Express lanes were connected in those slots. That data is presented in teh User Manual specifications.

*    C'mon Chris trhats the same as a used car salesman telling you he is selling you a car with a V-8 and you buy it then find out it is really only firing on 6 cylinders because he took the sparkplugs out of 2 cylinders.

How is the consumer supposed to see the user manual untill they buy the computer?

You admit that the sales page did not state how many lanes were connected to the slots; yet anyone who would see that advertisement would be falsely led to believe that they were getting X16 lanes because its a PCI Express x16 Expansion slot ! ! ! ! !  That is what the x16 means in technical terms ! ! ! !  

No it doesn't, while I agree that a "used card salesman" pitch was used , your interpretation of what X16 means in "technical terms"  is not correct. 

"PCIe slots come in a variety of physically different sizes referred to by the maximum lane count they support, ie. x1, x2, x4, x8, x16 and x32."

"The number of lanes actually connected to a slot may also be less than the number supported by the physical slot size."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

201 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 11:00

The Dell advertisement was very clear that you would get a keyboard.  It never said there would be keys attached to it.

The Dell advertisement was very clear that you would get a cpu.  It never said there would be a heatsink/fan attached to it.

The Dell advertisement was very clear you would get LightFX2.  It never said...uh...umm...ya I guess it did.

526 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 23:00

@foehammer25 wrote:

So what was Dell's reason to gimp the physically sized x16 slots with only a lane count of x8 per slot?

My theory is ATI Crossfire support, which Dell advertises along with nVidia SLI support.

201 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 23:00

""PCIe slots come in a variety of physically different sizes referred to by the maximum lane count they support, ie. x1, x2, x4, x8, x16 and x32."

"The number of lanes actually connected to a slot may also be less than the number supported by the physical slot size.""

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the number of lanes is less than the physical configuration there is a reason behind it.  That is not a normal configuration whether or not it is possible.  So what was Dell's reason to gimp the physically sized x16 slots with only a lane count of x8 per slot?  Why was it not stated in Dells advertisement that the motherboard would be different then what is reasonably expected from x16 slots?  Especially when the large majority of other 650i motherboards support full x16 lanes in their physically x16 slots.

It is like a 22" monitor having only a 18" viewable screen and the advertisement not mentioning that fact.  Doesn't matter that it is in the manual because nearly no one reads the manual before purchasing equipment.  Does anyone doubt that Dell knew that people tend to not read the manual before buying computer equipment?  Stick the fine details in the manual where almost no one will see them.  THAT is what Dell did.  Who here knew ahead of time that this information about the x16 slots would only be in the manual?

I am willing to bet you didn't even know that Chris.  Until they let you in on it, of course.

By the way contrvlr, EVERYTHING that Chembane said is true except for the very last sentence.  Why are you picking his post apart?  The meaning behind his message is clear.  If a mobo has 2 x16 slots, it is not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that they both have x16 lanes.  Especially when the advertisement doesn't state the true technical specification under its Technical Specifications tab.

Message Edited by foehammer25 on 08-03-2008 08:00 PM
Message Edited by foehammer25 on 08-03-2008 08:00 PM

201 Posts

August 4th, 2008 00:00

That is your GUESS.  It is mine as well.  But no one here knows for sure.  It really doesn't matter.  What matters is that Dell did not disclose that fact anywhere in the 630i's advertisement pages.

1.4K Posts

August 4th, 2008 01:00

@foehammer25 wrote:

By the way contrvlr, EVERYTHING that Chembane said is true except for the very last sentence.  Why are you picking his post apart?  The meaning behind his message is clear.  If a mobo has 2 x16 slots, it is not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that they both have x16 lanes.  Especially when the advertisement doesn't state the true technical specification under its Technical Specifications tab.

Are you blind ?
 I didn't pick his post apart, I tried to clarify what most of you don't seem to realize, x16 describe's the physical slot. I don't agree with the way it was advertised but it doesn't change the fact
 Did you not see the part where I agreed that the advertising was like a used car salesman pitch?
 It's not unreasonable to think that the x16 slots would support 16 lanes, but it's also not unreasonable to expect some research to be done, would you buy that used car before checking it out ?
You make reference to a 22" monitor with only an 18" viewable screen, you would send that back for a refund , wouldn't you ?
 And by the way, had I picked apart Chembanes post I would have made mention of the fact that the Dell manuals are available online for anybody willing to research the product prior to purchasing.

32 Posts

August 4th, 2008 02:00

ATI crossfire boards have pciex16 2.0 slots as well and I was wondering the correlation between the DELL boards having x8 lanes and you guys thoughts on being both crossfire and sli able being the reason for x8?  I don't see why they would  just cripple the x16 capability of the slots.  I am no technical expert but there has to be a reason.  Could it be USB, I/O board, memory controller conflicts?  

Contrvlr,

I knew that just because a slot is x16 does not mean all 16 lanes are enabled.  My point to the entire post is that in my experience with mobos I have never run across a board that was advertised at having x16 slots but x8 of the lanes were not available unless specifically stated.  As a consumer I shouldn't be required to read the owners manual to know what I am purchasing before purchasing a product.  Be it an automobile or computer; in the USA we have laws to protect consumers from that.  My research on the 630i was done from DELLS advertisement page and reviews from online tech sites.  Nowhere did it state the x16 lanes ran at x8 in single configuration.  They also did not say that when I turned on my PC it would sound like the turbine winding out from a f-16.  They did not state that if I tried to adjust the lights that the fan icon would disappear from the ESA control panel.  I don't recall reading about having to do countless bios updates, software updates AND troubleshoot without being paid for it for DELL's technicians.  I was not aware that the ESA control panel would not show corrrect fan speed or the nvidia monitor incorrect heat temps.  I did not know I was not going to be able to set working profiles.  I did not know I was purchasing a HD disco strobe light.  I do remember reading about how my Light FX 2.0 was supposed to be able to be set to pulse and change color though. 

With printer and monitor and upgrades to my 630i I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,479.00 for my system and I FULLY expect DELL to provide for me what I was led to believe I was purchasing.  It's down to the basic principle of consumer/ provider relationship expectations to me now.  I have been a loyal DELL customer through the purchase of four computer systems and I feel betrayed by DELL from this 630i experience.  I will get what I paid for.  I don't want a refund.  Period.

Message Edited by chembane on 08-03-2008 10:20 PM
Message Edited by chembane on 08-03-2008 10:25 PM
Message Edited by chembane on 08-03-2008 10:36 PM

201 Posts

August 4th, 2008 22:00

No I am not blind.  Are you sarcastic?

We do realize that x16 describes 2 things...the physical slot compatibility and it can be used to describe the number of lanes a slot uses.

Yes I would buy a car without reading the users manual.

Yes I would send the monitor back.  Yes I am sending my 630i back.

Research does not mean looking in every corner of the internet for every fine print available.  The lane number was hidden from us in the manual that is available online.  Did Dell even recommend reading the manual, before purchasing the system, for important information?  I think not.

It is apparent you are a Dell Fanboi.  Nothing wrong with that either.  But you know full well Dell's advertising was inappropriate, misleading, and contained a few outright lies (yes, I know you mentioned used car salesman, but this is worse).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 5th, 2008 14:00

All,

I can tell you that there are two, 100% facts that will never change -
* There will never be dancing colored LEDs on the XPS 630
* There will never be a motherboard with 16 PCI Express lanes per PCI Express x16 expansion slot on the XPS 630

Knowing this, if you cannot live without those two items, now is the time to get a refund.

36 Posts

August 5th, 2008 22:00

Has anyone here returned a 630 and received a refund ?

If so were you charged any fees for restocking,shipping bak Etc.

71 Posts

August 5th, 2008 23:00

@dwebber wrote:

I returned mine within the 21 days, there was no restocking fees, and Dell takes care of shipping they even send UPS to your house directly which is good because the XPS 630 is one heavy machine

they did take a while to refund to my credit card, probably did not see it hit my credit for about 21 days, but it was the exact amount, so I was happy

If you are past the 21 days and you are getting an option to get your money back i would take the option now and not wait, Dell usually does not do this, so take it!!!!!!  and IMO shows at least Dell is willing to compensate for people who are unhappy with their product long past the return policy

Message Edited by denec on 08-05-2008 07:59 PM
Message Edited by denec on 08-05-2008 08:00 PM

23 Posts

August 5th, 2008 23:00

i have ask for a refund and told chris m. then he had someone call me up and told her and that she is supposed to send me a return label to me so i can put it on the box they sent me. but i think its been over a week. so im not sure whats taking so long. and also i got it on my dell account and the lady said that when they get the computer back to them it might take up to a month to see the money back on my dell card.

201 Posts

August 6th, 2008 00:00

Deleted.  :)
Message Edited by foehammer25 on 08-05-2008 08:33 PM
Message Edited by foehammer25 on 08-05-2008 08:35 PM

23 Posts

August 6th, 2008 01:00

yeah like the last guy said take the refund if you are past 21 days because yeah they are sending me a ups label so i can put it on my system, but i got my system like 5 or 6 months ago. so TAKE IT EVERYONE THAT WANTS THE MONEY BACK

30 Posts

August 6th, 2008 01:00

@dwebber wrote:

Returned mine - no fees for shipping or restocking - credit card refund received in a couple of weeks once they got the machine back, though it took nearly a week for the thing to travel from New England to Tennessee or wherever they go to.
No Events found!