foehammer25
2 Iron

Re: Dell Xps 630 Motherboard.

That is your GUESS.  It is mine as well.  But no one here knows for sure.  It really doesn't matter.  What matters is that Dell did not disclose that fact anywhere in the 630i's advertisement pages.
0 Kudos
contrvlr
4 Germanium

@foehammer25 wrote:

By the way contrvlr, EVERYTHING that Chembane said is true except for the very last sentence.  Why are you picking his post apart?  The meaning behind his message is clear.  If a mobo has 2 x16 slots, it is not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that they both have x16 lanes.  Especially when the advertisement doesn't state the true technical specification under its Technical Specifications tab.

Are you blind ?
 I didn't pick his post apart, I tried to clarify what most of you don't seem to realize, x16 describe's the physical slot. I don't agree with the way it was advertised but it doesn't change the fact
 Did you not see the part where I agreed that the advertising was like a used car salesman pitch?
 It's not unreasonable to think that the x16 slots would support 16 lanes, but it's also not unreasonable to expect some research to be done, would you buy that used car before checking it out ?
You make reference to a 22" monitor with only an 18" viewable screen, you would send that back for a refund , wouldn't you ?
 And by the way, had I picked apart Chembanes post I would have made mention of the fact that the Dell manuals are available online for anybody willing to research the product prior to purchasing.

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

GTX 260 C216 @ 711/1533/1151

Antec TPN 750w

0 Kudos
chembane
1 Nickel

ATI crossfire boards have pciex16 2.0 slots as well and I was wondering the correlation between the DELL boards having x8 lanes and you guys thoughts on being both crossfire and sli able being the reason for x8?  I don't see why they would  just cripple the x16 capability of the slots.  I am no technical expert but there has to be a reason.  Could it be USB, I/O board, memory controller conflicts?  

Contrvlr,

I knew that just because a slot is x16 does not mean all 16 lanes are enabled.  My point to the entire post is that in my experience with mobos I have never run across a board that was advertised at having x16 slots but x8 of the lanes were not available unless specifically stated.  As a consumer I shouldn't be required to read the owners manual to know what I am purchasing before purchasing a product.  Be it an automobile or computer; in the USA we have laws to protect consumers from that.  My research on the 630i was done from DELLS advertisement page and reviews from online tech sites.  Nowhere did it state the x16 lanes ran at x8 in single configuration.  They also did not say that when I turned on my PC it would sound like the turbine winding out from a f-16.  They did not state that if I tried to adjust the lights that the fan icon would disappear from the ESA control panel.  I don't recall reading about having to do countless bios updates, software updates AND troubleshoot without being paid for it for DELL's technicians.  I was not aware that the ESA control panel would not show corrrect fan speed or the nvidia monitor incorrect heat temps.  I did not know I was not going to be able to set working profiles.  I did not know I was purchasing a HD disco strobe light.  I do remember reading about how my Light FX 2.0 was supposed to be able to be set to pulse and change color though. 

With printer and monitor and upgrades to my 630i I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,479.00 for my system and I FULLY expect DELL to provide for me what I was led to believe I was purchasing.  It's down to the basic principle of consumer/ provider relationship expectations to me now.  I have been a loyal DELL customer through the purchase of four computer systems and I feel betrayed by DELL from this 630i experience.  I will get what I paid for.  I don't want a refund.  Period.

Message Edited by chembane on 08-03-2008 10:20 PM
Message Edited by chembane on 08-03-2008 10:25 PM
Message Edited by chembane on 08-03-2008 10:36 PM
0 Kudos
foehammer25
2 Iron

No I am not blind.  Are you sarcastic?

We do realize that x16 describes 2 things...the physical slot compatibility and it can be used to describe the number of lanes a slot uses.

Yes I would buy a car without reading the users manual.

Yes I would send the monitor back.  Yes I am sending my 630i back.

Research does not mean looking in every corner of the internet for every fine print available.  The lane number was hidden from us in the manual that is available online.  Did Dell even recommend reading the manual, before purchasing the system, for important information?  I think not.

It is apparent you are a Dell Fanboi.  Nothing wrong with that either.  But you know full well Dell's advertising was inappropriate, misleading, and contained a few outright lies (yes, I know you mentioned used car salesman, but this is worse).

0 Kudos

All,

I can tell you that there are two, 100% facts that will never change -
* There will never be dancing colored LEDs on the XPS 630
* There will never be a motherboard with 16 PCI Express lanes per PCI Express x16 expansion slot on the XPS 630

Knowing this, if you cannot live without those two items, now is the time to get a refund.
0 Kudos
dwebber
1 Nickel

Has anyone here returned a 630 and received a refund ?

If so were you charged any fees for restocking,shipping bak Etc.

0 Kudos
dirtykurt
1 Nickel

i have ask for a refund and told chris m. then he had someone call me up and told her and that she is supposed to send me a return label to me so i can put it on the box they sent me. but i think its been over a week. so im not sure whats taking so long. and also i got it on my dell account and the lady said that when they get the computer back to them it might take up to a month to see the money back on my dell card.
0 Kudos
denec
2 Bronze

@dwebber wrote:

Has anyone here returned a 630 and received a refund ?

If so were you charged any fees for restocking,shipping bak Etc.

I returned mine within the 21 days, there was no restocking fees, and Dell takes care of shipping they even send UPS to your house directly which is good because the XPS 630 is one heavy machine

they did take a while to refund to my credit card, probably did not see it hit my credit for about 21 days, but it was the exact amount, so I was happy

If you are past the 21 days and you are getting an option to get your money back i would take the option now and not wait, Dell usually does not do this, so take it!!!!!!  and IMO shows at least Dell is willing to compensate for people who are unhappy with their product long past the return policy

Message Edited by denec on 08-05-2008 07:59 PM
Message Edited by denec on 08-05-2008 08:00 PM
0 Kudos
foehammer25
2 Iron

Deleted.  🙂
Message Edited by foehammer25 on 08-05-2008 08:33 PM
Message Edited by foehammer25 on 08-05-2008 08:35 PM
0 Kudos
dirtykurt
1 Nickel

yeah like the last guy said take the refund if you are past 21 days because yeah they are sending me a ups label so i can put it on my system, but i got my system like 5 or 6 months ago. so TAKE IT EVERYONE THAT WANTS THE MONEY BACK
0 Kudos