Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 22nd, 2016 17:00

Dell computer Windows Vista Boot problem

Hey there, I'm having a bit of problem with my PC running Windows Vista. Whenever I boot it up it comes up with a loading screen that loads forever. I went to boot options and tried booting in safe mode, didn't seem to work. I booted into Safe mode with networking and it actually managed to get in though with some issues. I decided to factory restore my PC through the command prompt. It created a restore point then went back to the loading screen.. which again just loaded forever. Eventually I had to turn it off after 3 hours. Though when booting it back now no safe mode works, not even command prompt or with networking. I tried creating a recovery drive on another computer and booted the recovery through the windows vista. Then I went to troubleshooting and repair my PC. Though it said it could not be fixed. I tried the other options but again, nothing. 

I'd really appreciate if anyone knows a way I can fix this problem.
it does say that I need the installation disc but I currently do not have my hands on one.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 23rd, 2016 03:00

The hard drive is physically bad and therefore it wont ever come up again.  Given the more than 10 year age of the drive this is not unexpected.  It cannot be fixed because there are no software fixes for physically bad hard drives.

November 23rd, 2016 17:00

Thank you for writing to us.
Microsoft has stopped support options for Microsoft Vista. We request you to contact local technician for the operating system disc.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 23rd, 2016 17:00

Follow the instructions here to attempt any data recovery:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/data-recovery-using-fedora/ 

Then run the F12 preboot diagnostics

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/f12-preboot-diagnostics/ 

Likely the HDD has failed. Windows Vista is pretty much at End of Life. The download links to the Vista .iso have long been removed (February 2015). You'll need to probably purchase a new OS (Windows 10) and a new SSD. Tally up the cost and compare to the cost of a new system baring in mind a Dell model (you never specified which model) preinstalled with Windows Vista is 7-10 years old.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 26th, 2016 20:00

I fixed something like this, but it wasn't for the technically faint-of-heart. The fix involved imaging over the old hard drive to a new one with ddrescue running under Pen Drive Linux.

No Events found!