Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 12th, 2013 12:00

Dell desktop: complete blank screen after setting Secure boot ON and disabling legacy

Hello,

I tried to solve an installation problem for a friend of mine by GPT and as I tried to complete the installation, I most probably made a mistake in trying to turn UEFI boot on. I invalidated the legacy boot option and now the system does not start at all, no Dell logo nor anything else. I tried to boot on several installation DVDs with no results.

Is there a way to reset the settings I made in the BIOS ?

Is there any other solutions to boot ? Is possible that, I am able to find one, an UEFI iso image could be used to start from the DVD and go on with  the installation ?

I think the BIOS version was A11 but I am not 100% sure. Anyway, I am pretty sure I did not try to boot aother BIOS.

Is anyone can help me ;-)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 16th, 2013 11:00

Glad that solved the problem.  :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

Please mark this thread as 'solved'

Thanks!

1.5K Posts

July 12th, 2013 12:00

Hi pascal697,

Please share the 'System Model'. You may try loading the BIOS to defaults if you are able to boot to BIOS by pressing 'F2' key on startup. Also, if you are able to boot to 'F12' menu, try running diagnostics to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

Please reply with the information. I'll be happy to help you.

4 Posts

July 12th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for your quick reply.

I had to leave for another location for the moment. I think it is a T1650. I will try F2 but I am not sure the USB keyboard starts quickly enough to override the boot process. As I was using boot CDs at the time the BIOS was ON, it started so quickly that it usually wouldn't boot on the CD for the first time.

In the mean time, are you able to tell me if enabling UEFI + boot legacy OFF but no actual UEFI installing would be the root cause ? In fact, before I disabled it, there were two sets of BIOS menus : one DOS-looking and one more windows-like. I made the final modifications in the windows-like menu, setting the DVD ROM reader as first device for UEFI boot (and IPv4 and IPv6 as second and third and the PC is connected to no network at all).

4 Posts

July 15th, 2013 01:00

Hello,

Nothing works : F2, F12, ctrl-alt-suppr ... always a blank screen.

And any install DVD fails to start either.

Am I going to need to by another mother board ?

Regards

Pascal

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 15th, 2013 17:00

If I may...

The manual for the T1650 doesn't say which is the default setting in BIOS, Legacy or UEFI, but you could try resetting BIOS to the defaults to see if that solves the problem.

1. Power off and unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!)
  6. See if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected

4 Posts

July 16th, 2013 03:00

Hello,

Yes, this motherboard reset did unblock me and now I am able to boot in Bios mode and everything works fine.

Thanks so much.

1 Message

November 24th, 2013 06:00

I had the same problem but my system is Precision T7610 I had tried your method but doenst work for me., this is what i did: pls help!!!

1) unplug power (from power socket)

2) remove Nvidia GTX590 graphic card (bcz this model doesn't have on board graphic)

3) press power/hold for 15 seconds

4) remove motherboard battery (the round one in motherboard)

5) press power/hold for 30 seconds

6) install back motherboard battery and install back Nvidia Geforce GTX590 graphic card, plug in DVI and turn on..

same .. nothing happen still blank screen.. PLEASE HELP ME!!

1 Message

April 29th, 2014 03:00

I have exactly the same issue as above. 

What is the procedure to solve this problem as the solutions listed above definitely do not work. 

Please help.

1 Message

April 29th, 2014 11:00

I meet the same issue, luckily I have another T7610 so I can do blind operation on it.

This is what I have done, and it works.

1. unplug anything except main monitor,keyboard.

2. boot up the workstation while keep click and release F12 fast for 2 MINUTEs !!!

3.stop click, check if the diagnostic LED stuck at 1,2,3.

4. If step 3 is OK , keep clicking DOWN key for tens times.

5. Keep clicking ENTER  until system restart.

6. You screen should have some thing appear. now you should know what you'll do.

2 Posts

September 24th, 2014 17:00

I tried your suggestion but the problem for me is I have a dell precision 690 and the options you speak of, down ten times is not valid at all, I did a dry test with my gtx 295 which works perfectly and nothing but lights 123 and a blank screen, really annoying me now as I have been saving a long time to get a descent card into the machine.

Thanks for the advice though

2 Posts

February 6th, 2017 09:00

Hi

I have a WS Precision T5610, change the boot to UEFI and no longer sends me video when I turn on, I tried to reset the Bios, but it stays the same.

thanks for your quick help.

2 Posts

February 6th, 2017 09:00

What would be the procedure for the T5610

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 13th, 2017 07:00

The 690 DOESNT HAVE UEFI BIOS and has PCI-E 1.0 SLOTS and therefore is not going to be compatable with any new cards EVER.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 13th, 2017 07:00

You cant have SECURE BOOT on with old or new cards.  Only the cards with certifcate in bios will work.

For any secure boot bios system it must be CSM ON and secure boot off and Legacy option roms on.

No Events found!