Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2014 23:00

Dell drivers for NVIDIA GTX 560

I have an Inspiron 580.  I have installed an EVGA NVIDIA GTX 560 2GB 02G-P3-1469, Windows device ID 1201.  It is correctly installed in the PCI 16x slot.  I have installed a 750 Watt power supply. The power cords (2) from the power supply are correctly connected to the video card. The video output line is correctly connected to the monitor (dual input). The fan on the card spins.

I have made numerous attempts to install driver(s) for this card using the "HAVE DISK" method.  The best result I have gotten so far is "driver does not support this version of windows". I have Windows 7 64 bit.  I have used drivers for Windows 7 64 bit.

From what I have found out is that somewhere deep inside the Dell installation of Windows, the operating system will reject drivers not defined for the system.

I have not been able to find "Dell approved" NVIDIA GTX 560 drivers.

If these drivers exist, please let me know.

If there is a registry or WMI configuration issue that will let me install the current drivers from NVIDIA, please let me know.

If there is a BIOS upgrade specific to installing an auxiliary graphics card, please let me know.

12 Posts

November 2nd, 2014 12:00

I have spent 11 months chasing this problem. I'm incredibly lucky that I didn't turn my computer into a brick. I figured this out pretty much indirectly from a trail of unrelated crumbs on the internet. In the process. The solution is.  By that I mean there was a failure of communication. On the Dell Inspiron 580, and I'm pretty sure this applies to other Dell with the AMI bios, there is no access to setting the display adapter. Make sure that you have correctly installed the card in the PCI-X slot, you have a 650 Watt or better power supply, and have correctly hooked up any power cords that the card may need.

All this having been said, this is what works:

1. Click the "Start" button.

2. Select the "Computer" entry with the right mouse button to select "Manage"

3. Select "Device Manager" from the "System Tools" list.

4. Expand the "Display adapters" list.

5. Right click on the adapter name

6. Select "disable" and ignore the complaints from the OS.

7. Shutdown the computer.

8. INCREDIBLY, RIDICULOUSLY IMPORTANT: Disconnect the cable from the onboard video connector. If you don't do this, the onboard video will automagically reinstall its device drivers when the system starts up, and you will lose your mind.

8. Unplug the computer power cord and wait 30 seconds.

9. Start up the computer. The first thing you should see is the NVIDIA card's manufacturer's ID.

10. DON'T PANIC! You will see a pop-up dialog box displaying messages about drivers being installed. It may take up to 10 minutes for the system to install PCI, PCI Bridge, and other drivers related to the new graphics adapter.

12. Download the latest and greatest NVIDIA installation from nvidia.com and run it.

13. Donate 10 USD to the Salvation Army or its equivalent in your country.

This is a solution that Dell should have provided and made available to its customers instead of relying on a customer to perform research, hardware analysis, software configuration, and techincial documentation FOR FREE.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 00:00

If you have installed the graphics card yourself there will be no Dell drivers unless the card itself is taken from another Dell model.

I assume this is the driver you tried to install:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/73810/en-uk

1.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 14:00

You should be downloading and installing the latest driver version from Nvidia's website not from a disk. Personally, I have never had any issues with either AMD or Nvidia drivers on a Dell system, but I always download them and install from the downloaded file and never use the disk.  You don't need any Dell approved driver for an EVGA card. 

12 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 09:00

Thanks for your response. The "Have Disk" method refers to directing Device Manager to load the drivers from a directory. I have tried multiple releases of the NVidia drivers. The Inspiron 580's BIOS locks out the addition of a second graphics adapter. This prevents the normal setup program(s) from detecting the card.  The "Have Disk" method is documented on the Intel tech site. Also see http://laptopvideo2go.com

The problem is that 2 or 3 minutes after Device Manager starts loading the driver, it stops with the error message "driver does not support this version of windows".  I have an up-to-date installation of Windows 7 64-bit.

12 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 10:00

Thanks for your response. The "international" version of the NVidia drivers generates the same error message.  I edited my original post to include a screenshot of the message itself.

I'm going to research "DeviceOverrides Registry Key".  If you have any advice along that path, please let me know before I blow up my machine.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 11:00

It seems your Windows version is rejected with the driver.

It may be worth trying an older version of the driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.62-whql-driver.html

No Events found!