Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 6th, 2013 15:00

Dell hard drive scan suddenly says motherboard check failed

Hi, this is my first time on the forums.  I am an older lady.  I bought a Dell desktop in 2009.  I am on social security, so I can't afford to update the warrenty.  I do the Dell default scan as recommended.  It said "passed" in all categories until today, July 6th.   One item didn't passed, I think it was system something (low tech and it shows) and it said there was a problem with the motherboard.  I haven't done anything different to my computer.  I use Microsoft Security Essentials to scan for viruses, spyware, etc.  I am using MSN IE9 as my browser, it works well for me.  I am on AOL, that's the only email I have & the only website I joined, been on it since 1995. Nothing has changed on AOL.

I play free cPogo games using Java, which I keep updated.  I've never had a problem.

The only conflict I can think of is that I also have AVG free anti-virus, anti-spyware installed as well as Microsoft Security Essentials.  Should I uninstall AVG?  What could the problem be with the motherboard & I'm wondering why it just cropped up suddenly.

I got a printer/scanner/copier with the Dell computer when I bought it. In other words, it came with the computer, it was part of the package which also included keyboard, mouse, flat screen & speakers.  I don't have a wireless system.  I used Verizon FIOS & have a router.   The printer is an Epson Stylus NX110.  A couple of weeks ago I replaced the cartridges & the printer suddenly stopped working.  I've replaced cartridges many times & never had a problem.  I called Epson & received new, free cartridges; it was determined that the ones they sent me were faulty.  Printer still wouldn't print, but it scanned.  I downloaded new drivers for the printer, following the instructions on the Epson website & also using Microsoft help website.

I need the desktop, printer, & all the other equipment.  Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong and why this latest scan said the motherboard failed in system reponse (I believe).  I have deleted extra programs & run the scan a couple of times & I'm still getting the same message with no clue how to fix it.  Thanks! 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 10th, 2013 08:00

There is already a conflict with AVG AND Microsoft Security Essentials.  Malware may also be an issue.

There is no one size fits all for All dell models and All OS versions.  There is insufficient information.

There is no one size fits all error message.

No such program "dell hard drive scan".

No One size fits all "motherboard failure" for all Dell Models.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 10th, 2013 13:00

Also tell us if the system working correctly for your uses. Do you see anything that isn't working or that's behaving oddly during normal use?

Have you installed any new software from the internet recently?

July 14th, 2013 20:00

Thanks to all who answered, I removed AVG & everything is fine.  The Dell scan is supposed to be for your hard drive, but who knows?  I'm just running Microsoft Security Essentials now & everything is well, no problems detected.  

No Events found!