Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 29th, 2012 12:00

Dell inspiron 530s startup issues

I have a Dell Inspiron 530s slim desktop, hardware specs are as follows: 160 GB Samsung SATA hard drive. Toshiba Samsung DVD writer model TS-H635. also has a MSI N210 MDIG/D3 1 GB PCIe video card, low profile. Intel Celeron 1.60 GHz Processor. 350 Watt power supply. brand new, 2 1 GB RAM sticks, DDR2 SDRAM PC2-6400. Has the Multi-in-one Card reader. The problem im experiencing is every now and then when i go to start it up, it loads to the DELL splash screen, freezes, and how i know it freezes is because the load bar stops about half way. the only beep i get is right before the splash screen signaling the startup. about 3 times a day, i pull the cmos battery, RAM hard drive cd drive video card, let it sit for about 5 minutes and put it all back together and wham it starts, but upon restart, same issue. ive done everything including make sure the board is clean, all new thermal compound, the RAM is new, the video card is new, the cmos battery is new, power supply as stated earlier is new. i hope you arent bothered by how long this is, this issue has been going on for about 3 months now and ive had enough. any and all help would be very much appreciated. also, operating system is windows 7 home premium 32 bit. please help im sick of this dell doing this to me.

6.4K Posts

February 29th, 2012 13:00

The progress bar on the Dell screen indicates how much of the self test has been completed.  Your symptoms could be a problem on the motherboard, but it can also result from poor connections.  This is especially true with memory.  It appears you have done a good job cleaning things up; if you have also made sure that all things that can be disconnected or removed have been properly installed I'm not sure what else to tell you.  I would begin with the memory.  Use the latches to lift the modules out of their sockets, and using a thumb at each end of the module, press firmly until the latches lock into the notches of the modules on their own.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 29th, 2012 14:00

I suppose you already have run all the Dell Diagnostics (including the extended hard drive test to rule out a failing hard drive) and the hardware--memory, motherboard, drives, etc.-- passed all the tests.  If you haven't run all these lengthy tests, do it now and report back.  Make a system repair disk on cd to use as a boot disk in case you cannot boot to the hard drive. Open Windows 7 Backup & Restore to do that.

February 29th, 2012 18:00

thanks, but what part of the motherboard could cause that? north bridge? south bridge? corroded saulder points??

February 29th, 2012 18:00

any diagnostics i try say that my operating system is not supported

3.7K Posts

October 16th, 2012 15:00

The progress bar on the Dell screen indicates how much of the self test has been completed.  Your symptoms could be a problem on the motherboard, but it can also result from poor connections.  This is especially true with memory.  It appears you have done a good job cleaning things up; if you have also made sure that all things that can be disconnected or removed have been properly installed I'm not sure what else to tell you.  I would begin with the memory.  Use the latches to lift the modules out of their sockets, and using a thumb at each end of the module, press firmly until the latches lock into the notches of the modules on their own.

I would agree with JackShack, as the 530s comes with a 250w PSU, and you said you have a 350wPSU, so is the PSU new.

October 16th, 2012 15:00

Have You UP Dated The Bios ,And If You Changed Hard Drive You Will Need The Drivers Disk To Run Test, Boot From Drivers Disk

No Events found!