Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2013 15:00

Dell inspiron 531

Having a bit of trouble. Any help would be appreciated. Whenever I load my computer and click start Windows normally It goes to black screen with just the mouse in sight. Nothing else loads up, anyone have any advise? Ive tried loading it up in safe mode but it also goes to a black screen.

August 27th, 2013 15:00

Hi Nath333,

You may run the hardware diagnostics to ensure the hardware is working fine.

• Shut down and restart the computer.
  • Press the F12 key immediately when the Dell logo appears. The Boot Device list appears.
  • Select Diagnostics and press the Enter key.

If there are no issues found, you may have to reinstall the operating system.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

3 Posts

August 28th, 2013 11:00

I'm getting error code 0F00:137B IDE device failed.

It's saying blank media or no medja present. Any idea what to do?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 28th, 2013 12:00

Nath333

Try running diagnostics with a data DVD in the DVD/CD drive and see if it makes a difference.

Bev.

August 28th, 2013 14:00

Hi Nath333,

Error code 0F00:137B indicates that there was no media present in the drive during the diagnostics.

Insert a bootable media like the Operating System CD or the Resource CD in the drive before running diagnostics.

If there is no other error found, you may reinstall the operating system.

Please refer to the link below for reinstalling a fresh copy of the operating system.

Steps to install windows: http://dell.to/12V8j4Q

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you further.

3 Posts

August 29th, 2013 05:00

Where could I get them disks? I have the computer over 6 years so I'm sure you can appreciate I don't have them about 

August 29th, 2013 14:00

Hi Nath333,

As the system is quite old, the operating system media may or may not be available at Dell.

If the media is not available, you may have to purchase a retail version of the operating system.

You may share the system's Service Tag and Owner's/Company's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) and I can check what best can be done.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 29th, 2013 15:00

Nath333

If you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may make a charge for the disc.

If you don't reside in the US, contact Dell's Support that's located in your country. 

Bev.

No Events found!