Damiana86
2 Bronze

RE: Dell t5500 workstation diagnostics lights 2 3 4 blinking no display

I tried working xeon l5630 and e5620 and e5520 in single cpu mode no luck.

Thermal paste that i use is halnziye hy880 or gd900.

Yes they are making good contact with heatsink and cpu surface.

I couldn't find and debris in cpu socket.

Neither could my eyes identify bent or damages pin in processor socket.

No bulging capacitor found on motherboard.

0 Kudos
Damiana86
2 Bronze

any idea  what could be the problem ? what can i test it ?

i do have multimeter .. if the need be to test some common specific things i can do it.

will a bios post diagnostic card help in finding out error ?

0 Kudos
Techgee
3 Argentium

Did you inspect the two CPU riser sockets for debris, bent pins or other anomaly?  Does the unit think there should be a riser inserted - meaning would inserting a riser card trigger a mechanical switch to indicate dual CPU and is this switch broken?

What was going on around the time the problem first occurred?  (I assume it was working for you before.)  Were any components changed or was the unit location changed or moved/transported around the time the issue first happened?

Not sure where I'd go from here.  Checking/reseating cable connections and trying to swap motherboard and/or PSU is probably what I'd try next...

0 Kudos
Damiana86
2 Bronze

No debris or bent pin on cpu socket.

It was working fine earlier except that it would hangs randomly in wondowsWindows.  (memory and  processor and hdd were ok).  It would also hang in memtest86 with 48gb ram on test. All rams were ok.

So using infrared thermometer gm550 I noted that the heatsinks near the cdrom which could be for chipset recorded temperature of 62-63 °C at the time of hanging.

Also the other heatsink near second cpu would also register high temperature of 60.

I bought one unit from a broker who bough a whole lot from a company  that upgraded all their systems in data center.  These were placed in properly cooled rooms and working fine there.

So I removed all power cords from system and applied some readily available no name heat compound to both chips having heatsinks.   And system was perfect now no issue for two weeks or so no..  

The I ordered some Chinese heat compounds gd900 and halnziye hy880.

Now this time I forgot to remove the power cord from pc.

System was powered off but there was electric supply to psu and hence board.

As soon as I pressed on the lever for the heatsink near the cdrom the system turned on. I immediately removed power cord and touched the chip to feel it's temperature.. It was cool as everything there. (the system was on without heatsinks on that chip for may be 3 -  4 seconds).

Then I applied thermal grease and reapplied the heatsink and tried to boot it and I was getting this problem.

Nothing was shorted out.  No metal touched any part on motherboard. I very carefully pushed the lever down and it popped out.

I Had removed the riser card from it when Ibought it and was using it on single cpu mode.

0 Kudos

Hi DAMIANA86,

Do private message me the service tag.

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
Techgee
3 Argentium

Sounds like something happened to chip under the heat sink when trying to remove heat sink and power was on.  Probably need to replace the motherboard, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Damiana86
2 Bronze

Pmed you details

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Damiana86
2 Bronze

I carefully checked the cpu socket on motherboard and found one pin bent. I did my best and managed to get it aligned but still same issue..

Can i just remove processor from onboard socket and install it on riser card to test it?

If it works this way would it also be possible to use ram slots onboard?

0 Kudos
Damiana86
2 Bronze

I carefully checked the cpu socket on motherboard and found one pin bent. I did my best and managed to get it aligned but still same issue..

Can i just remove processor from onboard socket and install it on riser card to test it?

If it works this way would it also be possible to use ram slots onboard?

0 Kudos
Damiana86
2 Bronze

Hi i have some success.

I removed processor from onboard socket and installed riser card with processor. And surprisingly I got display but the fans were still running full speed.

And  the dell bios gave error that fan on cpu 2 is not working..

Whereas it was working and i took this riser card from a working system.  I reconnected the riser card ram fans connector. Still same.  Rest bios still it gives error message.

0 Kudos