Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 4th, 2016 11:00

Dell t5500 workstation diagnostics lights 2 3 4 blinking no display

Hi

I have dell t5500 workstation.

It's not showing any display.

Diagnostics lights 2 3 4 blinking no display and the fans speed increases.. They are very loud like blower.

Did some troubleshooting as mentioned in the comment on my video.

I am unable to  copy the comments from that video which has all findings done so far.

Please help.

April 5th, 2016 04:00

Hi DAMIANA86,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

What is the led status on the power supply unit found at the back of the system?

Most of the troubleshooting steps indicate an issue with the motherboard.

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with the result from the above step.

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

40 Posts

April 5th, 2016 08:00

When only power cord is connected there is no light

When system is powered up the led stays green.

This is refurbished system and was working ok forfor past few months.

It's service code is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Express service code <ADMIN NOTE: Express service code removed per privacy policy>

40 Posts

April 5th, 2016 10:00

I did a power supply test using the button on power supply unit.

When mains ac is connected and that button is pressed the led on rear of power supply turns green and it's can also spins normally.

April 6th, 2016 09:00

Hi DAMIANA86,

Thank you for trying these steps.

Please add me as friend and private message me the service tag of the system along with your email id (Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
#IWork4Dell

40 Posts

April 6th, 2016 10:00

Hi dear

Done.

590 Posts

April 7th, 2016 12:00

Similar issue here (although they're reporting power light is Amber) - could be CPU or CPU/riser not fully seated.  I'd try to reseat and/or run with a single CPU to isolate. 

Would be nice if LED codes for T5500 were complete at Precision T3500/T5500/T7500 Workstations Diagnostic Lights and Beep Codes (if your power light is Green and 2, 3, 4 flashing, then your pattern isn't listed).

40 Posts

April 7th, 2016 12:00

I am getting  this error code with single processor.

I tried three other working processors no luck.

Isn't the my code 7b?  If pre post section?

590 Posts

April 7th, 2016 13:00

Is your power light Amber or Green?  Pb7 is for Amber power light.

EDIT: 

Noticed power light is Amber in your video.  Sorry, only resolved case I could find is my prior link, where it was CPU related.  I'd take a magnifying glass to CPU socket to look for any debris, broken CPU capacitors, etc. and/or look for debris on riser connectors.

Here's another post of same pattern, no resolution unfortunately.

What Xeon and thermal paste are you using?  Is CPU and heat sink making good contact (thin, spread out paste when heat sink removed)?

40 Posts

April 7th, 2016 13:00

I meant pb7

40 Posts

April 8th, 2016 13:00

I tried working xeon l5630 and e5620 and e5520 in single cpu mode no luck.

Thermal paste that i use is halnziye hy880 or gd900.

Yes they are making good contact with heatsink and cpu surface.

I couldn't find and debris in cpu socket.

Neither could my eyes identify bent or damages pin in processor socket.

No bulging capacitor found on motherboard.

40 Posts

April 10th, 2016 04:00

any idea  what could be the problem ? what can i test it ?

i do have multimeter .. if the need be to test some common specific things i can do it.

will a bios post diagnostic card help in finding out error ?

590 Posts

April 10th, 2016 13:00

Did you inspect the two CPU riser sockets for debris, bent pins or other anomaly?  Does the unit think there should be a riser inserted - meaning would inserting a riser card trigger a mechanical switch to indicate dual CPU and is this switch broken?

What was going on around the time the problem first occurred?  (I assume it was working for you before.)  Were any components changed or was the unit location changed or moved/transported around the time the issue first happened?

Not sure where I'd go from here.  Checking/reseating cable connections and trying to swap motherboard and/or PSU is probably what I'd try next...

40 Posts

April 10th, 2016 22:00

No debris or bent pin on cpu socket.

It was working fine earlier except that it would hangs randomly in wondowsWindows.  (memory and  processor and hdd were ok).  It would also hang in memtest86 with 48gb ram on test. All rams were ok.

So using infrared thermometer gm550 I noted that the heatsinks near the cdrom which could be for chipset recorded temperature of 62-63 °C at the time of hanging.

Also the other heatsink near second cpu would also register high temperature of 60.

I bought one unit from a broker who bough a whole lot from a company  that upgraded all their systems in data center.  These were placed in properly cooled rooms and working fine there.

So I removed all power cords from system and applied some readily available no name heat compound to both chips having heatsinks.   And system was perfect now no issue for two weeks or so no..  

The I ordered some Chinese heat compounds gd900 and halnziye hy880.

Now this time I forgot to remove the power cord from pc.

System was powered off but there was electric supply to psu and hence board.

As soon as I pressed on the lever for the heatsink near the cdrom the system turned on. I immediately removed power cord and touched the chip to feel it's temperature.. It was cool as everything there. (the system was on without heatsinks on that chip for may be 3 -  4 seconds).

Then I applied thermal grease and reapplied the heatsink and tried to boot it and I was getting this problem.

Nothing was shorted out.  No metal touched any part on motherboard. I very carefully pushed the lever down and it popped out.

I Had removed the riser card from it when Ibought it and was using it on single cpu mode.

April 11th, 2016 09:00

Hi DAMIANA86,

Do private message me the service tag.

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
#IWork4Dell

590 Posts

April 11th, 2016 12:00

Sounds like something happened to chip under the heat sink when trying to remove heat sink and power was on.  Probably need to replace the motherboard, unfortunately.

No Events found!