Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2012 13:00

Dell want to replace my XPS 710 H2C with a XPS 8300, please help!

Hello community,
My XPS 710 H2C broke in December, however after about a month of them delaying and delaying a repair they told me in January that parts were no longer available and so they said they will have to exchange my PC. I was expecting them to offer me something reasonable but instead they offered me a XPS 8300, and if I wanted an Alienware I would have to pay a substantial amount because of 'depreciation'.
My XPS 710 H2C had 3 hard drive, SLI 8800's, watercooling and a QX6700 extreme cpu, along with lights etc and cost about £3600 new!
I have spent the past month arguing and appeared to have gotten nowhere, however I had a laptop replaced in the past (M1730) which was replaced with a more costly M17x, and I was not asked to pay a penny towards it, whereas they have calculated my 710 H2C to be worth something around £2200, and for an equivalent Aurora it costs more than that to configure so I am expected to pay the difference. I have also never seen a case like this where someone has had to pay anything towards goods being replaced because the manufacturer is at fault by providing a product which did not last its warranty duration, I do not see why I should have to pick up the tab for their failure.
Could anyone who has experience with these sort of situations please help me out, I am from the UK and theoretically should have good consumer rights (ie Sale of Goods Act) but Dell does not seem to be budging at all.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 16:00

Hi Jack-XPS,

Sorry to hear about all the hassle. The XPS 8300 is regarded as one of their higher end desktops, so I think it's a reasonable exchange.

Good luck!

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 04:00

Hi,

I know that the XPS 8300 is the highest spec 'Dell' branded PC available, but this is only because Dell discontinued their XPS gaming range, to replace it with Alienware models. A XPS 8300 is a very basic machine compared to my XPS 710 H2C, and can only have one graphics card, none of which are comparable to two 8800GTX's. Mine also has watercooling, which is only available in Alienwares, as with the LED lighting which I have. Also mine was classed as a Gaming Desktop, and the only ones classed for gaming are Alienwares now that that high end XPS's have been discontinued. Furthermore I have had a look on the Dell forums and other users have had their systems replaced with Alienware systems, which is only fair in my eyes.

1.5K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 05:00

I would never consider the XPS 8300 a gaming system just due to its case design.  It is nothing like the XPS 710 H2C.  To get anything close you would have to get the Alienware today.  However, the XPS 710 is an old system with old technology compared to today's computers with the newer motherboards, i7s and much more ram.  There are single cards you can put in the XPS 8300 that would be better than your two 8800 GTXs, but Dell does not offer them for this system like they used to. The highest card they seem to offer now is the HD 6770 and that won't do.  I thought they used to offer the HD 6950.  That will beat what you have and that is what I would go for if they won't budge on an Alienware system.  At least you will have a brand new up-to-date system.   I would also want to know exactly what I would be getting.  For example, I would want the i7-2600 CPU not the i5 and not except less than 8GB or ram, etc.  Good luck!  

No Events found!