Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2009 22:00

DellXPS720 w/ Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT Display Driver won't Load

I have a Dell XPS 720 running Windows Vista Home.  Over the past few days I have been experiencing some display issues -- lines on the boot-up screen, screen resolution changes and today, the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT Display Driver won't load at all.

I have searched for an updated driver and loaded Driver Version 7.15.11.7474 directly from Dell, but have had no success.  The driver still will not load.  The error message I get in the Device Manager in Windows states, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".  I'm not having any luck figuring out if this is a software or a hardware issue.

Any suggestions?

Elaine

1.7K Posts

July 28th, 2009 09:00

Follow the Nvidia driver instructions at the top of this forum.  Since you have the 8800 GT, always get the latest driver version directly from Nvidia's web site as indicated in these instructions.  Since you have Vista, you don't need to worry about the Microsoft .Net Framework because you will already have it installed.  The latest driver version is 190.38, but if you have any issues with it (and apparently a lot of people have posted issues with it) go back to the 182.50 drivers as they have seemed to be the most stable.  Personally, I have just updated from the 182.50 to the 190.38 and so far so good.  For me, I have never had any problems with updating drivers to the most recent versions, but others always do.  Lucky me, I guess. 

EDIT:  I was just looking at the instructions and they didn't seem quite right in this area shown below.  After you remove the PhysX program (if installed), reboot your computer into safe mode (F8) and then run Driver Sweeper as instructed.   The instructions further down indicate to restart into normal windows but it didn't say to restart in safe mode first after removing the Nvidia driver and PhysX software before running Driver Sweeper.   Note:  The Nvidia driver uninstall program does not work in safe mode so you have to be in normal windows when uninstalling it.

Remove the Nvidia driver
* Right click the Nvidia Control Panel icon, on the taskbar
* Click Exit or Close
* Click Start- Control Panel- Add or Remove Programs
* Click NVIDIA Drivers
* Click Change/Remove and follow the prompts. If asked, click No to restart
* Click NVIDIA PhysX
* Click Change/Remove and follow the prompts. If asked, click No to restart
* When both are removed, close the control panel
* Click Start- Programs- Driver Sweeper- Driver Sweeper
* Click NVIDIA - Display
* Click Clean
* When finished, close the application
* Restart the PC into normal windows
* Click Cancel on any New Hardware messages

17 Posts

November 14th, 2009 06:00

Hello,

I've got a similar issue. I own a M1730 xps laptop with Geforce 8800M Gtx card. Since I could not watch any kind of video in full size screen (jerky video playback) I've tried to update card's drivers but there's no way to have them working (error code 43 in device control panel)

Moreover there's no way to go back to the old ones since the situation has gotten worse: dragging windows upon the screen causes trails and everything seems to move slower and jerky. I've even tried to restore the system to an older date but the system doesn't allow me to do that and after rebooting no changes take effect (i've tried to disable antiviruses and similar programs)

Another strange fact: the temperature of computer seems really hot... It's even discomfortable to write this message..

PS: Why my "score" ha set to 5 instead of 20? Is it my fault if my computer doesn't work? Or  maybe I've been to unformal? I'm sorry for that.

Anyway forgive me for my English...

No Events found!