Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 4th, 2012 11:00

Dells My Download Center

I went to the My Dell Download site to download a backup copy of Windows 7 for my recently purchased Dell XPS 8500 computer.  When I click on Register My System link, I get the Internet Explorer Security popup stating that a website wants to open web content using the Dell SysPro software.  I click on to allow and I get the notification that it is starting to scan my computer but then the Internet Explorer Security popup comes back up wanting permission to install the
software again but it never does and the Explorer Security popup keeps coming back up.

September 4th, 2012 12:00

Hi Steve,

Windows 7 is not available for download and has to be installed using Windows DVD. My Dell Downloads provides you a way to download the factory installed software. However, it does not include Windows 7.

You may try to reset the Internet Explorer by performing the following steps:

1. Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.
2. Open Internet Explorer by clicking Start-> Internet Explorer.
3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
6. When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, click Close, and then click OK.
7. Close Internet Explorer.

The changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer. Then try registering to My Dell Downloads.

You can also try updating the JAVA plugins by performing the steps listed below:

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Programs.
2. Launch the Java Control Panel by double-clicking on the Java icon.
3. Click the Update tab.
4. Click on ‘Update’.
5. Once update is complete, click on Apply and OK.
6. Restart the system.

Another thing that you can try is to run the JAVA and Visual Basic scripts. To run the scripts, please perform the steps below:

1. Click on Start and type Command Prompt.
2. In the search results above, right click on Command Prompt and click ‘Run as Administrator’.
3. In the command prompt, type regsvr32 jscript.dll and press ‘Enter’.
4. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll and press ‘Enter’.
5. Type exit and press ‘Enter’.
6. Restart the system.

I have also sent a personal message. I would request you to reply with the Service Tag of the system and other details requested in the message.

Hope this helps. Please revert if you need any further clarifications.

September 4th, 2012 13:00

Thank you for replying and providing the information.

Please let me know if you were able to register on My Dell Downloads portal. Also provide me with a brief description of the issue that you are facing with the system, for which you want the Windows 7 DVD.

There is a utility, called Dell DataSafe Local Backup, installed on your Dell system to create the recovery discs. The steps to create the recovery discs are listed below:

1. Click Start > All Programs > Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 > Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.
2. Click 'Create your Recovery Discs'.
3. Click 'Create My Recovery Disc(s) Now' and click 'Next'.
4. Insert a blank DVD in the DVD burner and click 'Next'.
5. Follow the prompts provided as the Recovery Disc creation takes place.
6. After the disc(s) have been created, click 'Finish'.

You can create a backup on a USB flash drive (8 GB or more) or single layer or dual layers DVDs. Rewritable DVDs (DVD-RW) do not work with Dell DataSafe Local Backup.

You also have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive that can be used to take the system back to factory settings. The utility is called Dell PC Restore. Steps to run PC Restore are:

Note: PC restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

To perform PC restore:

1. Restart PC, press 3-4 times when the Dell logo appears.
2. Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
3. Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
4. System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
5.  Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
6.  Choose a Recovery Tool Window appears, select Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup.
7.  The Welcome screen will show 2 options; Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files and Select other System Backup and more options. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next.
8.  The next window shows these options; Backup Files and folders and Restore my computer. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
9.  Select the Factory Image and click ‘Next’.
10.  The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click ‘Next’.
11.  A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved in the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next.
12. PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart.
13. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account.

If you still need the discs, please provide the shipping address on a private message. We will be glad to ship the Windows 7 DVD without any charge.

4.4K Posts

May 30th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                  

No Events found!