Not applicable

Desktop communication with USB Ports for scanner and digital audio devices

I have a 3 year old Dell 4700 Dimension desktop. we are having connectivity problems with USB devices. The computer will not communicate with our MP3 digital audio device or with our Lexmark all-in-one scanner.  We also plugged an IPOD into one of the USB ports and the computer would not communicate with the IPOD either. The devices show up in the system hardware list, and the device is shown as "working properly". I have updated drivers and I have uninstalled programs and devices and reinstalled them, but the computer will not communicate. The printer will print a test page after installation, but will not print any print jobs.  I have downloaded updates from Microsoft and from Dell, including MS Windows XP Service Pack 3, but still no communication between computer and any USB devices that require a driver. A flash drive works in the USB port. The spare hard drive that I use for back-up works in the same USB port. I can download pictures from a digital camera and delete the pictures on the camera from the desktop.  however, digital audio devices and scanner will not work.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
3 Argentum

Re: Desktop communication with USB Ports for scanner and digital audio devices

Sounds like you have some extra "coding" in the registry or spyware/virus that isn't liking anything in the USB ports.  I would suggest a complete software rebuild and start from scratch.  From there, build back up.
0 Kudos