Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2016 04:00

Diagnostic light 2

Dell E520 -very slow startup. Light 1,3 and 4 on, not number 2. When at last light  2 also get  on the pc starts and work as normal.

What does light 2 tell?

13 Posts

December 18th, 2016 05:00

Have replaced the old NH493 power supply with  Corsair CX 450M - It works:)

Also the dianostic light "2" now showed up immediately and Dell Dimension E520 booted!

Gudny

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 1st, 2016 07:00

Hi,

This is normal boot up process on Dell dimension E520.

13 Posts

December 1st, 2016 10:00

Ok, thanks.

However the whole startup process can take half an hour and more. Sometimes I hear little (fan?)brooms - and when I at last hear a big broom I know that my Dimension E520 have manage to start this time too -

am afraid that it will stop working..

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 4th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

Please use the link below to optimize your system.

www.dell.com/.../SLN289872

Also, refer to the video below to run hardware diagnostics.

youtube.com/watch

13 Posts

December 5th, 2016 06:00

Thanks for links!

I ran the hardware diagnostic test and the result was:  Found no errors.

But there was a suggestion under the CPU section to clean ventils and fans. I will try that if I can figur out how I do it. Have to start looking in the E520 manual I think.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 5th, 2016 12:00

Try reseating the RAM modules in their slots and use canned air to blow out the dust.

E520 Service Manual

13 Posts

December 6th, 2016 08:00

Today I have opened the pc case, blowed away some dust and taken the memory bricks out and in again.

I didn't see any CPU fan, the only one I found was the one in the front and I tried to clean it with the airblow.

When I started the pc up again there was no brooming, but it gave the message: "device 0 not found"

I have seen that message before and with just a push on the start button it continued and started Vista.

I could not resist but shut the pc down and started it up again. This time it started up almost as new --

Hope it is ok now.  - Why should I reseat the RAM modules?  Don't know if it was the RAM reseating or the dustcleaning which helped.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 6th, 2016 10:00

Hope your problem is fixed now!

Sometimes RAM modules lose good contact in their slots, either because of vibrations (fan, drives) and dust. So reseating the RAM may clean the contacts and restore good connections.

You probably want to reboot now and immediately press F12. Look for the option to run the Diagnostics and run all of them, including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Copy down error messages - if any.

And back up your personal files on external media ASAP to be safe...

13 Posts

December 8th, 2016 07:00

Unfortunately the pc still won't turn on normally.

I have to push the start button several times or take the power off and on, before it start up. I hear the fan noise, but not so loud as before - perhaps the cleaning helped a little

If I take a normal shutdown and turn it on again it start up as in old days.

On board diagnostic of harddisk gave: "pass"

I wonder if more cleaning could have helped. Is it possible to remove the heatsink(?) and  reach  the fan without disturbing the CPU? Have heard of "thermal paste" and know it is necessary if you change the CPU..

All suggestions gratefully received!

Gudny in Norway

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 8th, 2016 10:00

Sounding like the power supply is failing...

Don't think you have problems with the heat sink or thermal paste. Those might cause random crashes if the CPU overheats, but you're having problems getting the PC to start, so heat probably isn't the issue.

Don't know if a non-Dell power supply will fit in the E520, so search these forums to see if anyone has posted about replacing the power supply in this specific model.

A Dell OEM E520 power supply is ~US$40-$50, but I have no idea how much it might cost in Norway.

Maybe it's time to take it to a reliable PC shop for service...?

13 Posts

December 11th, 2016 06:00

I think you are right about the power supply. I will search for a new one and if I find one I think is right I will try to replace it myself. Something new to learn!

Thank you for your kind help!

Gudny

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 18th, 2016 12:00

Glad I was able to point you in the right direction and your PC is working properly again.

Happy holidays!

No Events found!