Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2017 02:00

Diagnostics - Hardware Failure - Replace memory

Hi

I run diagnostics which gave me a Hardware Failure Replace Memory error and the recommended next steps below:

Your memory module is not working correctly and should be replaced. This part is covered by your warranty. Please fill out the following form and we will ship your free replacement part to you.
Note: Warranty details can be viewed by entering your Service Tag on the Dell Support homepage or on the My Products and Services page.

Funny thing is the system still seems to work even though diagnostic says it is a critical error, so do I need to replace the 2 x 4Gb memory? My Inspiron Zino HD 400 support warranty has expired but is the memory still covered by manufacturers Lifetime warranty? If so as online search on memory suggests then how do I make a claim?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 20th, 2017 10:00

All parts are covered by Dell's warranty. If that expired, the company that made the memory probably won't help you.

Before you do anything else, try reseating the RAM modules in their slots.

Power off, unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open case and remove RAM modules from the slots

Use some canned air to blow out the dust bunnies

Reinstall the RAM and close up

Boot and run the diagnostics

If the memory error recurs, you probably should replace both modules so you have a matched pair.

4 Posts

February 21st, 2017 07:00

Thanks on for the suggested next steps. Shame about the warranty as replacement 4Gb RAM modules are costly and all the ones I have seen say they come with lifetime warranty whatever that means.

I will follow steps and report back in due course.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 21st, 2017 11:00

Dell doesn't make memory or claim a lifetime warranty under any circumstances.  There is no one size fits all warranty for all manufacturers.  Not sure where you are seeing lifetime warranty.   This is neither expressed or implied with Dell systems.

You did not say what manufacturer but if it came from dell its OEM ram and not likely to be covered.

4 Posts

February 24th, 2017 12:00

I removed the RAM modules from their slots, cleaned out the dust and swap the modules around followed by diagnostics. Sadly the memory failed the Advanced Pattern Test again. So I guess I have to bite the bullet and get two new 4GB modules.

Was hoping the RAM modules were Dell Certified Memory which according to Dell's website have:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/shared/snp/en/memory_installation?c=us&l=en&cs=04

" Lifetime Warranty: All Dell Memory modules are backed by a Dell Lifetime Limited Warranty – ensuring that your new memory will work for as long as you own your Dell system, even when your system is out-of-warranty. "  

Unfortunately my factory installed modules are labelled Hynix not Dell so no luck there. It seems most manufacturers will only deal with warranty claims from original purchaser for lifetime warranty claims, and lifetime mean different things too, mostly the average lifetime of the product.

Question is should I accept Dell's claim and buy replacement from them? Probably not on account that it is too much bother trying to get through to the right department as service tag automatically shows system out of warranty. Also for the cost of 2GB modules I can get 4GB modules from other manufacturer which proof of purchase for what hopefully will be lifetime warranty terms.

Thanks to all for replies and suggestions.

4 Posts

February 25th, 2017 02:00

Hi Ron

Updating with further tests following your suggestions. I wanted to identify which RAM module was faulty so I tested both modules independently in slot 1. Each time I re-run the diagnostic system memory test, it passed with no errors, the Advanced Pattern Test took a long time to run but happily passed. To me this meant both modules were okay, so I re-ran diagnostics again with both modules in both slots, again passed with no errors.

The only difference was the memory tests were done on their own test rather than the quick test which combines CPU, memory, CD-ROM and Hard disk. So I am thinking the quick test gave a false error and the detail memory test which took twice as long are more reliable.

Anyways, thanks for you suggestion, it has saved me from replacing both modules for now so will just keep an eye on them.

Cheers Jeff

No Events found!