flyung
6 Indium

Re: Dimension 2400 Keyboard Failure

I tried another PS/2 Keyboard and it did not work; I also tried a USB keyboard and with it I got the "Diskette Drive O seek failure" message and it did not work. But it seems strange that the diagnostic lights are all green, which according to the Dell manual indicates that there is no problem. Since the original keyboard does work on anothr computer, I know the problem is in the computer. I'm going to have to solve it because my business inventory is in this computer. (Yes, I know I should have backed up my inventory and kept a copy in another computer.) I'm debating whether to take it to the Geek Squad for a $69 diagnosis or pay Dell for advice. I appreciate all the advice from Forum members!
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Right, we'd already established the problem wasn't with your original PS/2 keyboard. Using a known good USB keyboard resulted in the same Diskette Drive 0 seek failure error as when you plugged another PS/2 keyboard into the green PS/2 port? That error occurs if a floppy drive is malfunctioning or if there's no floppy drive physically installed in a computer but the floppy drive controller is turned on in BIOS. Do you have a floppy drive in your 2400? I don't recall you mentioning whether you were able to access the BIOS at any point during your troubleshooting but if you can go in there and check the Diskette Drive A setting under Drive Configuration. If it's on & you have no floppy drive in the system then turn it off. See if the system will boot up normally & the USB keyboard will work after this.

XPS One. Core2 Duo @ 2.2GHz. 2 GB DDR2-667. WD2500AAJS 250GB SATA. Intel GMA 3100 video. 20" WSXGA HD LCD. 2 Megapixel Webcam. 8X DVD±RW. 8-in-1 Media Reader. 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless. Integrated High Def Audio. Internal Bluetooth 2.0. NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner. Windows 7 Professional SP1.

0 Kudos
flyung
6 Indium

There is no floppy in this computer, and I have been unable to access the BIOS.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

When you used a USB keyboard did you try plugging it into several different USB ports (including the one you keep your mouse plugged into) after you got the Diskette Drive 0 seek failure error?

XPS One. Core2 Duo @ 2.2GHz. 2 GB DDR2-667. WD2500AAJS 250GB SATA. Intel GMA 3100 video. 20" WSXGA HD LCD. 2 Megapixel Webcam. 8X DVD±RW. 8-in-1 Media Reader. 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless. Integrated High Def Audio. Internal Bluetooth 2.0. NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner. Windows 7 Professional SP1.

0 Kudos
flyung
6 Indium

Motherboard was the problem and I was able to get a refurbished one from Dell for $129.99

and now the computer is working great again!

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful suggestions, they were much appreciated!

0 Kudos
quakerbob
1 Copper

Thanks- I had just thought of this and went online to do it and your suggestion popped up! I already got rid of the old keyboard as I hadn't thought of buying and adapter!

0 Kudos