Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2009 14:00

Dimension 2400 No Boot

Help!

I was diagnosing a noisy fan, after much work discovered that the fan on the video card was bad.  Now the PC will not boot up.  The 4 diagnostic led in the back do not light up, the power light on the font is a solid amber color AND the hard drive led is solid green.  

I have tried pulling the button battery waiting then restarting.  No luck. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tim 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 7th, 2009 14:00

twl1066

First open the case and check that all the power and data cables are properly connected, by removing and reinstalling all the connectors.

If the above does resolve the problem and you are comfortable around computers, try the following to test the power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on and if power supply fan and hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 20-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes or diagnostic lights on the front/back panel, then it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Bev.

2 Posts

February 7th, 2009 15:00

shesagordie/Bev,

I have done everything you suggested.

Unplugged everything and re-connected - same.

Power suppy jumper - power supply fan ran, and I think the hard drive did too.

Disconnected all  - The rear diagnostic LEDs are not lit, the front power led is flashing yellow. 

So from what you said, the motherboard has not died? 

I do have a spare HD which I will give a try later.

Any other thoughts?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 7th, 2009 17:00

twl1066

If there were no diagnostic lights, or 'Beeps' then I would suspect the motherboard is bad.

Bev.

No Events found!