Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2011 14:00

Dimension 2400 XP backup to DVDs instructions

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP home edition. I was not supplied with an XP CD. How do I backup my computer to DVDs?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 10th, 2011 14:00

Hi Fguolee,

You're asking two questions. If you would like to order an XP disc, go to this page. You must be the registered owner.

Your second question is how to back up your system to DVDs. The Windows XP backup utility cannot do this. You'll need a third party program, such as Acronis True Image. There are also some freeware programs. Keep in mind there are two approaches to this. One is to back up just your important data files. The second is to perform a complete back-up of your system drive which you can use to restore the system.

2 Posts

July 10th, 2011 15:00

Thanks, I guess my next questions are.....If I go ahead and buy the XP disc, will I still have to purchase a third party software disc?  Also, how do I do this with the least amount of expense and hassle? I already have a pack of DVD-Rs.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 12th, 2011 17:00

If you order the XP disc from Dell (and I recommend you do regardless), you'll still need third party software to back up data to DVDs. XP cannot do that. Again, there are free programs that can do this.

872 Posts

July 12th, 2011 21:00

872 Posts

July 13th, 2011 17:00

2.2K Posts

I had a system that was over five years old when they sent out the OS reinstall disks for free..... I can't imagine the cutoff would fall between five and eight years, but they may have changed things in the mean time.

872 Posts

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Muto,

I provided a link to order replacement discs.

And I agree with your recommendation that an external hard drive provides the most convenient solution for system backup.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 14th, 2011 12:00

They may be restricted by license from microsoft.

However I recently got windows XP pro CD from dell for my system.   I filled out the form and they asked for additional information because I was not the original owner of the system (I got it used/refirb from microcenter).

Microsoft Also has a program where Resellers can provide a copy of XP called

"XP for refirbished computers" that works fine but requires a NEW COA as the serial on the Dell COA will not work

with this version.   This version is not free however they usually charge $30 or so for it.

Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Licensing Guide for Refurbished

Microsoft Refurbisher Programs

Thank You for Purchasing a Refurbished PC with Genuine Windowsо XP ...

Microsoft makes refurbished PCs its latest WGA anti-piracy target ...

Red Rabbit is one such vendor that sells Refirbished Dell with XP for refirbished machines.

Refurbished computers with Windows XP operating systems at great ...

872 Posts

July 15th, 2011 10:00

872 Posts

July 15th, 2011 11:00

No Events found!