Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2009 12:00

Dimension 2400 blinking yellow/amber light

I cold boot my tower but when I powered it back up I get a black screen on my monitor and I check the tower to see a yellow/amber colored light instead of the usual green power indicator.  Held down the power button till the pc shutdown.  Unplugged all wires from the back except for power supply, keyboard, mouse and monitor.  Powered up the tower again and still getting the same issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2009 04:00

The power supply fan initially starts for a second then off.

This 2400 doesn't have the diagnostic lights in the back panel.

Going to get a new power supply but not quite sure how to install it.  Do you have a link or instructions 'how to' remove and install the power supply 'properly'.

Checked the manual on the site but the table of contents don't specify how to replace/install power supply.

Thanks again for the speedy feedback.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 12th, 2009 12:00

SteeleGTX

Does the power supply fan run?

Are there any disgnostic lights lite on the back panel?

See HERE

A blinking amber power button LED, usually indicates a power failure, first open the case and check that all the power cables are properly connected, if this fails to correct the problem, then replace the power supply.

Because the 2400 has a open back, you can use most generic standard ATX PSU, with or without, the on/off switch and either a 20-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, you should be able to buy a compatible power supply from a local, or online computer store.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 13th, 2009 12:00

SteeleGTX

The Dimension 2400 does have four diagnostic lights, they are located between the PS2 Mouse/keyboard connectors and the Serial port on the back panel.

The Dimension Model 2300 does not have any diagnostic lights.

Bev.

6.4K Posts

August 13th, 2009 12:00

Of course it does.  See here:  Dimension 2400 Power Supply. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 17th, 2009 18:00

SteeleGTX

Happy to hear that the problem is resolved.

Bev.

3 Posts

August 17th, 2009 18:00

My computer is working fine now.  Thank you for all your help.

1 Message

February 13th, 2012 01:00

thx for power supply link - already saw that online - problem I have is reconnecting cables from power supply -cables labelled p3, p8 p9 etc goes to disc drive, vs power switch, vs 3.5" drive etc...- which cable to which item?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 13th, 2012 10:00

thx for power supply link - already saw that online - problem I have is reconnecting cables from power supply -cables labelled p3, p8 p9 etc goes to disc drive, vs power switch, vs 3.5" drive etc...- which cable to which item?

mdgettm 

You basically cannot make a mistake connecting the cables to the different drives and motherboard, all the connectors are 'keyed' [different shape and size] to fit into the appropiate sockets.

P1 [20-pin] connects to the motherboard

P2  [4-pin] connects to the motherboard

P3,P5,P6,P8,P9 [4-pin] connect to the IDE/EIDE Drives

P7 connects to the floppy drive.

For more information, go here:-

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 13th, 2012 10:00

mdgettm 

You basically cannot make a mistake connecting the cables to the different drives and motherboard, all the connectors are 'keyed' [different shape and size] to fit into the appropiate sockets.

P1 [20-pin] connects to the motherboard

P2  [4-pin] connects to the motherboard

P3,P5,P6,P8,P9 [4-pin] connect to the IDE/EIDE Drives

P7 connects to the floppy drive.

For more information, go here:-

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Bev.

No Events found!