Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2010 12:00

Dimension 2400 broken vga monitor connector - replace video card?

Hello,

I need some advice!  My Mom has a Dimension 2400 desktop.  She was moving it and didn't realize the monitor cable had screws to attach it to the computer and pulled quite hard on the cable.  When I tried to hook her computer back up, the monitor isn't displaying anything at all.  I'm guessing she broke the connection to the board?  The monitor itself works with another computer. 

What I am wondering is if I buy a replacement graphics card will the computer be able to display via connecting the monitor to the new VGA connector on the new card?  I can't change any options in the bios or anything because I can't see anything. 

Also, can anyone recommend what size video memory I need?  When I look on Dell for replacement parts, I get several PCI card options most being 64, 128 or 256 MB.  If it makes a difference, the computer isn't used for games or movies.  Just mostly browsing the internet, email, and paying bills.

Thank you very much for any advice!!

Cyndee

1.3K Posts

All 2400 have integrated video (on the motherboard) if that is where the monitor was connected and broken, then you will have to replace the

motherboard. If you had a PCI video card and that is what is broken. Then you could just move the monitor cable to the motherboard video.

6.4K Posts

If the connector is sufficiently together to prevent the conductors from shorting out to each other, it is possible.  Try booting the computer and watching the diagnostic LEDs on the back of the machine.  If all of them turn up green I believe you have a chance of making it work.

Since you aren't using the computer to play games I would suggest you get the least expensive card you can find.  Make sure you can return the card, however, in the event that you cannot get it to install.

I would begin by installing the card, connecting the monitor to the card, and turning the computer on to see if anything appears on the monitor.  If so, make sure you press F8 to go to the advanced start menu for Windows and choose to start up in safe mode.  From there go to the Windows Device Manager, locate the Display Adapters menu, and double click on the Intel Graphics item to get to properties.  On the device usage menu, choose the setting for "Do Not Use This Device; Disable".  Once you have done that you can restart the computer and allow it to boot normally.  You will only have a 640x480 resolution display at this point.  Most cards need you to use their own installer to begin driver installation, so cancel the Found New Hardware wizard and place the CD into the optical drive to bring up the driver installation menu for the card.  Follow the on-screen directions.

6.4K Posts

March 11th, 2010 14:00

The fact that you encounter no problems booting the machine indicates that all is well for the moment.  It is important that you be sure that the old connector for the on-board video can't move around and possibly short one or more of its conductors.  Provided that is true, you should be able to use a PCI video card to replace the onboard video as I outlined above.

That being said, it all depends on what you would rather do.  The Dimension 2400 was designed and built in late 2002 and is now considered old technology.  I'm sure you could purchase an inexpensive computer that uses Windows 7 that would outperform the 2400 and you wouldn't need to worry about special measures to get video working.

It all depends on where you want to spend your money and time.

4 Posts

March 11th, 2010 14:00

Thank you both for your replies. 

I do think that the integrated video is where the monitor was connected and that is what I'm afraid was pulled hard on and broken.  So Dave5, you are saying if I now add the PCI video card and move the monitor cable to that it won't work due to this?

I did boot up and all green lights were on.  I just receive no signal on the monitor.

If it's true that adding the new graphics card won't work due to the other piece being broken - am I better off telling Mom she'd better save up and look for a new cheap computer?

Thanks again for both of your time.

Cyndee

90 Posts

March 11th, 2010 22:00

I kind of have to agree with JS.  Spending a lot of time and possibly a chunk of money trying to get a 7 yr old PC to work may not be the best plan.  You could pick up a new Dell Inspiron for around $270 plus tax and shipping.  Or you could pick up a new Emachine tower for $249 shipped without tax.  I managed to snag one for my sister in law at Christmas for $189 delivered.  She and her husband are thrilled with it.  (Considering they were trying to run XP with a Duron 1300 and only 256 mb of PC-100 ram,  ugghhh)

Dell inspiron  http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/desktop-inspiron-546/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-inspiron-546&s=dhs&cs=19

Eamchine  http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5390933&CatId=6

Either one of these would be a great upgrade to the old Dell Dimension 2400 and allow upgrading with current available parts instead of paying premium prices for old technology.

18 Posts

March 12th, 2010 02:00

Cyndee;

Are you sure it's the connector?  Perhaps she damaged the cable when she was pulling on it.  Have you tried a different cable?  When you hooked the monitor up to another computer to test it, was it using the same cable as your mom's computer?

4 Posts

March 12th, 2010 10:00

Thank you all for your replies, recommendations and advice.  I appreciate what is being said about the money and advancing to newer technology.  In an effort to pinch pennies - I've found a card that is on the Dell recommended part replacement list but picked it up new on ebay for only $20.  So I will give replacing it a shot.  JackShack - I will follow your directions! 

If all goes well, then great.  If not - then I appreciate those newer inexpensive options mentioned and will look in them.

Thank you everyone.  Once I receive the card and install it - I'll post if it is a success or failure in case anyone remains curious!

Cyndee

4 Posts

March 18th, 2010 08:00

I just wanted to update that installing a new video card was a success!!  I picked up a Diamond Stealth S60 ATI Radeon 7000 PCI 64 MB card cheaply.  I got it last night and installed it following JackShacks directions in his reply.  It seems to be working great.

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Cyndee

6.4K Posts

March 18th, 2010 09:00

We've been happy to help.  Good luck to you!

No Events found!